MS Word 2016 unable to communicate with Zotero despite plugins installed.

Hi there,

I'm currently writing win Word 2016, but found out that I can't insert any reference. Word displays an error message:
``Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure that Zotero is open and try again.``

In the background, Zotero is in fact open as I'm typing.

At first, I thought that Word ddidn't like having a document stored on SharePoint while using local plug-ins, but I was able to insert one reference an hour ago without a problem. The reference field is still detected, but can't be edited.

Already tried: restarting both Zotero and MS Word, to no avail.

What could be happening?
  • Thanks dstillman. This occurs in an existing document, as well as a new one.

As for the steps:
    1. Skipped it as it takes a while
    2. checked, it is enabled.
    3. None of these software are run as administrator (My username has administrative rights, though, like most default Mac OS X configurations)
    4. I have none of these
    5. I have multiple profiles to segregate between tasks (a master's thesis library I have yet to clean, a non-synced profile from someone I lent my computer to a few months back, and my main one). I never used the --no-remote flag, though, only -P.
    6. Manually uninstalled plugin - restart Word - reinstall plugin - restart Word -> **SOLVED**

8-D