When you want to add an abstract only, without the PDF

When adding an item via the web browser, the Zotero connector automatically adds the PDF if accessible. On a regular basis though, I just want the abstract (and possibly the link to the web page, e.g. PubMed), but I don't want to clog my library with another PDF if think it doesn't add much to the abstract.
My turnaround has been to let the PDF download and attach to the entry, then duplicate that entry and delete the one with the PDF.
I wonder if there is a simpler way to not have the PDF when adding a particular item from the web. (Although the automatic PDF download can be disabled in preference, that would then apply to all items subsequently added.)
  • edited December 23, 2022
    There's not currently any way to change this on a per-save basis, no, though it's generally planned.
    My turnaround has been to let the PDF download and attach to the entry, then duplicate that entry and delete the one with the PDF.
    Why duplicate? If you don't want the PDF, just delete the child attachment item.
  • Thank you dstillman for your useful reply.

[Why duplicate? If you don't want the PDF, just delete the child attachment item.]
    After initially reading "Adding items" in the documentation, I understood that "Move item to trash..." would delete the whole item, not just the attachment. So I got into the habit of duplicating items first. Thank you for your advice - I feel silly for not having tried this before.