Problem with all things PDF

I have been using Zotero standalone for a decade without any serious issues. In the last couple of months, however, I have experienced some serious problems with all things PDF. The problems include downloading/importing, attaching/importing, and opening/reading PDF files. Not only are PDFs not automatically downloaded and imported when I save posts from my browser (in spite of my settings to the opposite), but I am also unable to attach PDFs to posts in my library, and to pull and drop PDF files into my library. I receive an error code ("Unix error 13 during operation open on file /Users/pethe244/Zotero/storage/XI5RQYDD/.zotero-ft-cache (Permission denied)") whenever I try to open and read a PDF file already stored in my library since before this problem premiered.

Why is this? How could the problem be fixed? I would very much appreciate your assistance on this matter!

I am using the latest version of Zotero standalone (6.0.18) on a MacBook Pro Ventura 13.1. I am using only 16 % of my storage quota on Zotero (I am paying for extra storage). I have lots of free storage on my computer as well.

Petter Hellström, Uppsala University
  • As the error suggests, Zotero doesn't have permissions to write in your folder, or some subfolders. You need to make sure Zotero (your user) /Users/pethe244/Zotero has permissions to read and write everything in that folder. It may not have permissions due to some security software blocking it, or a change in the OS folder permissions.
  • Thanks! That sounds like a very reasonable explanation for this problem. I recently updated to OS Ventura. Could that be why I have this problem? I am unable to identify the problem in the OS settings, however. Would you - or anyone else - have any ideas as to how to resolve this?
  • Thanks for your help. I'm afraid it didn't work, however; I already had full access to the Zotero folder on my computer. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Zotero, but to no effect. Any more ideas? Best wishes, Petter
  • I should add, perhaps, that I'm able to add PDF:s to my online library; but they won't sync with my computer library...
  • Update: problem resolved. adomasven was right to think the issue was one of permissions. Confusingly, I did have full reading and writing permissions for the Zotero storage folder, but still couldn't access the folder. First removing and then adding my user anew, and granting it full rights, resolved the issue!