"Hereinafter" in Bluebook Style

Hi all, I've been using Juris-M for years but recently switched to vanilla Zotero 6. I'm using the "Bluebook Law Review" style which for the most part works great. One feature I miss, though, is that in Juris-M, the software would understand the use of "hereinafter" in law review footnotes. Basically, if two different sources by the same author appear in a footnote, and if that source appears later in the document, the source will have a "[hereinafter {short title}]" added immediately after the source. Here's an example:

"See, e.g., Rachel E. Barkow, Institutional Design and the Policing of Prosecutors: Lessons from Administrative Law, 61 STAN. L. REV. 869 (2009) [hereinafter Barkow, Policing of Prosecutors]; Rachel E. Barkow, Foreword: Overseeing Agency Enforcement, 84 GEO. WASH. L. REV. 1129 (2016) [hereinafter Barkow, Agency Enforcement]."

Is this even theoretically possible to code using Zotero CSL styles? If so I might take the time to learn how to code it. But I don't know if this feature relied on some of Juris-M's add-ons to work and isn't possible in Zotero.
  • Only if they are in the same footnote originally? I don't see how we'd do that, no
  • Zotero and Juris-M use the same citation processor, so if you didn’t need to set up anything special with the item data to make this work, you can just use the Jurism Indigo Book style in vanilla Zotero and it should work
  • But don't the Juris-M styles rely on some added functionality, like the modular style options and the abbreviations filter? Are they really entirely in the citeproc?
  • edited December 20, 2022
    Juris-M relied on a custom plugin called the "Abbreviations Filter." I'm not sure whether the Abbreviations Filter was responsible for the "hereinafter" behavior or not. Is there any string of code that could theoretically be written check whether the same author name appears in the same footnote—or at least, in the same multiple-source citation?
  • Hi, I just found this thread. I am having trouble with this issue using the current version of Juris-M and JM Indigo Blue Book Law Review. Does the "hereinafter" variable work for you in the current version of Juris-M? If so, did you make any adjustments? Thanks!
  • It works on my windows in JM OSCOLA, but Juris-M is currently not working on the latest MacOS (Sonoma) using the Abbreviations filter.

the Indigobook style, as far as I have tried it, does not work with hereinafters. If anyone else knows how to get it to work, let us know.