Turabian - No titles in repeat citations of two works by same author

Hi there,

I'm having a problem with citing two works by the same author using the Turabian style (is this because it's still in development?). One is a book and the other is a journal article.

My footnotes look like this:

Author, 537. [a repeat citation of the first work]
Author, 538-9; Author, ‘Journal article title’, Journal, 5 (Year): 139. [first mention of the second work]
Author, 537. [the first work again]
Author: 137. [the second work]

i.e. they don't insert any 'title' in the repeat citation to distinguish between the two works by the same author.

The 'short title' field of both has something usable in it, but my Word Plug-in is not picking it up, so I don't think it's a problem with my data.

I've searched the forums and the most similar posts I've come up with are:
http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/331/repeat-citations-chicago-manual-of-style-in-ms-word-alpha/ (from 2007 - don't think it's the same problem).

Thank you for any help you can offer.
  • Hey,

I'm having exactly the same problem with my citations, as word is not repeating the title in subsequent citations, just the author and the page number. My 'short title' field has something usable in it also and the word plug in doesn't seem to be registering this and instead omitting a short title altogether. I'm on Windows Vista, Word 2007. Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • Hi!
    I am not an expert, as I fart around with the styles instead of studying... but I managed to cope with the problem you have, even if I normally work with a different style (modern humanties research association)
    If I get it right, you currently have something like this citation:

1) N. J. Higham, (Re-)reading Bede. The Ecclesiastical History in Context (London - New York: Routledge, 2006), p. 4.
    2 and following: Higham, 2006, p. 4.

And you want the second and following citations to be like that:

Higham, (Re-)reading Bede, 2006, p. 4

If that's right, you need to modify the style you use:
    For general indication on how to do it look at this:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5104/modifying-word-plugin-using-journal-abbreviation-instead-of-publication-name/

This is most likely the change you need to do to get the short title in the second quotations. Once you are in the xml page (I guess that's the way to call it...) you have to look for the "citation" section of the page, normally towards the end of the page (but before the bibliography section). Look for this string of code:

<citation>
    what follows it, up to the <bibliography> string, is the "citation" section
    Once you identify the citation section, look within it for something similar to this code:

<choose>
    <if position="subsequent">
    <text macro="contributors-short"/>
    <text macro="issued" prefix=", "/>
    <text macro="locators-specific-note" prefix=", "/>
    <text macro="point-locators"/>
    </if>

this is the section you need to modify.
    try to introduce the following line:

<text variable="title" form="short" font-style="italic" prefix=", "/>

between the line
    and the line:

This is the result:

<choose>
    <if position="subsequent">
    <text variable="title" form="short" font-style="italic" prefix=", "/>
    <text macro="locators-specific-note" prefix=", "/>
    <text macro="point-locators"/>
    </if>

Of course, do not modify the rest of the code. Save it as indicated in the page I linked above, and that should be it.. At least, it worked for me. Of course, since I used a different style as the basis of my example, you could find different macro names... I guess it shouldn't be that different, anyway...

I hope this helps.
  • there is an easy to follow guide for simple modifications of styles here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/csl_simple_edits
    otherwise Ricazz' instructions are spot on - this will always print a short title. I think we're now at a point where we can print the short title only where it's necessary, but that will take some time coding, so this is your best solution right now.
  • OK, I've fixed this for the MRHA styles, you can find fixed versions here
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles
    (click on the style, then download it by right-click on the 'Raw" link at the top right --> save link as... and install by dragging the downloaded .csl file to any open FF window.
    If this needs to be adressed for other styles let me know - Turabian currently always prints the short title.