Moving Zotero files on desktop PC to a different hard drive

Files from Zotero on my desktop PC have gotten too large for the hard drive on which they are stored. I'd like to move them to a different location, but I want to be sure that I don't lose any data. What is the best way to do so? (1) Move the files using my file manager (i.e., not with Zotero's preferences) then change the data directory location in Zotero? (2) Change the data directory location in Zotero then sync? (3) export and reimport the data?

Is there any problem if I make a folder on DropBox the data directory location?
  • Use
    (1) Move the files using my file manager (i.e., not with Zotero's preferences) then change the data directory location in Zotero
    to change the data directory location. Make sure you move the files while Zotero isn't running.

(FWIW, your option (2) would work but be very inefficient and option (3) would cause lots of problems, including duplicating items the next time you sync)

Is there any problem if I make a folder on DropBox the data directory location?
    Yes. Good chance you'll corrupt your database (especially if you're syncing multiple computers with that Dropbox account; if it's your only machine connected to Dropbox that's generally fine, though may still cause minor issues)