Zotero completely unlinked from existing word documents, please help!!!

Hello,

after the latest update of Zotero which was installed today, i encountered following problem: I opened my doctoral thesis and removed one citation within the text. This time, the remaining citations did not adapt/changed and just remained the same. Also the corresponding entry in the bibliography did not disappear, even after refreshing. Even worse, after pressing on edit bibliography, there did not appear a sigle reference. I checked on different existing word documents, but everywhere the same problem. I did not press unlink or anything. I worked through all the recommendations "Troubleshooting Errors in Word Processor Documents". What happened there? Did anybody else have that problem? Please help me. I am desparate, because otherwise i would need to write all again!
  • edited December 9, 2022
    This wouldn't have anything to do with a Zotero update — this is about the Word document itself. It just means you either used Unlink Citations or saved the document in the wrong format, causing all Word fields to be flattened:

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/existing_citations_not_detected

You'll need to restore from a backup of the document from before you did this or do the rest of the citations manually.