[Mac] Zotero hang due to over-length note

I OCR'd a very large document and inadvertently created an HTML note that is incredibly huge. Any attempt to manipulate it (e.g., to select it and move it to crash) causes Zotero to spin trying to deal with it. I've turned syncing off, closed the inspector, etc., but it still seems to happen (when I have -ZoteroDebugText turned on, the last thing I see before the hang is "Reloading tags box".

Is there any way to programmatically delete this note so that I can continue my work? (Just to be clear, it's not synced to the back end -- it's entirely in my local store. I guess I could delete Zotero entirely on the local machine, including Applications Support, and then re-install and rely on the cloud copy to save me?)
  • If you don't mind uploading your database to the DB Repair Tool and posting the Upload ID here, we can give you a command to run to delete it. You can ignore the download links that the tool provides, which won't help. This would just let us run a query on the DB and get the id.

Alternatively, you can open the DB in an SQLite database tool (the command-line client or https://sqlitebrowser.org/) to figure out the item id, after which you can run await Zotero.Items.get(ITEM_ID_GOES_HERE).eraseTx() from Tools → Developer → Run JavaScript to delete it.
  • I actually went ahead and did the uninstall-reinstall dance - since the bad item hadn't been synced to the back end, that unstuck me. Pretty bad bug though - I'd feel very nervous about doing that if I hadn't just gotten started.
  • There was certainly no need to do that.

You actually could have just create an empty item, Cmd/Ctrl-clicked the large note, and deleted both without triggering loading of the note.
  • Nice workaround to know about.