Different local file storing/syncing options for each Zotero Group

edited December 6, 2022
Dear all,

I am looking for a solution to a problem that arose from getting a new laptop. In order to save money on the extortionate prices Apple charges for internal storage, I kept it to the available minimum (512GB). This is fine for most use cases I have. Whenever needed, I use external storage media. However, this approach currently fails when it comes to Zotero. Here, I would like to store and sync all attachments in my main library to the internal drive but move files from Zotero Groups to the external drive. In some instances, these Groups comprise 10k+ plus references with attachments for historical sources of all kinds. I do not need to access these files everyday and not while on the move, which is why I would strongly prefer storing these files at a separate location on external storage media. Is this somehow possible?

I dug through the documentation and settings for Zotfile but didn't find anything. I also happily work with symbolic links.

I'd appreciate any answer.

Best,

Till
  • I don't think so, no. The group files need to be in the Zotero data folder and you want that on the internal HD because of the database and its performance.

You are aware of the sync as needed setting, though?
  • edited December 7, 2022
    Thank you for the response. Yes I am aware of the sync options. Also a brief clarification: I do not want to put the database on an external storage medium (even though SSD via thunderbolt should not significantly impact performance). I am solely concerned with the attached files.

The solution I came up with is pretty simple:

- create a new user and invite this user as an admin to the Group
    - set up a profile for the new user, where the "storage" folder is actually a symbolic link pointing to the external storage medium
    - turn on syncing for the shared Group library for the new user
    - turn off syncing for my main user account

This has the additional advantage of being able to use different file naming conventions for different users / group libraries
  • Ah yes, that would work. I did understand you were only concerned with attachments, but didn't see a way to separate them out like this.