Text Editor & Desktop Integration

1.1 The text editor window within a captured document was killed in Zotero 2.0 Beta by "Accessed" "Modified" "Indexed" etc. I want to be able to type on the text area without switching to a full-screen or drag it until it almost blind the tab window.

1.2 I feel it spaces the lines too much, especially when you hit enter. I will like to control the line spacing and the font.

2.1 I feel it will be nice to be able to link to a folder on the Desktop and explore it within Zotero.

2.2 I wish to be able to save a document in Zotero like a regular Desktop folder. This can only be done once the document is already residing in Zotero.

2.3 I will like Zotero to manage my documents not the Desktop.
  • I can't follow 1. which "text editor window"?
    and for 1.2. Are you talking about spaces as they show up in reports? You can adjust that by modifying the css (the instructions for that are somewhere on the forum).

2.1. how would that work? Files don't have the type of metadata that zotero items have.
    2.2 I don't understand
    2.3 that I don't understand either.
  • edited December 5, 2009
    Thank you very much for this early and helpful reply.

1. I mean the "Note." The details about the "Note in a captured document" could be shrunk so the note’s typing space will be increased.

1.2. Thanks. I mean the line space in-between text in the notes. And it words won't wrap when I type. I have must hit enter.

2.1. Thanks for telling me this.

2.2. Your response at 2.1 strikes a line through this. I mean that those things I can do when I right click on a file on my Desktop, I will like to do them to my Zotero documents, especially renaming a pdf.

2.3. It is an extension of 2.2.

Thanks again for this quick reply.
  • ah I see now what you mean.
    So for a snapshot the note window in the right panel.
    That's indeed quite small - I guess it's not used by all that many people. You could just use a regular note (i.e. a child note filed with the same parent item), or you could use an annotation in the snapshot.

For 1.2.
    I get automatic line breaks there - are you sure you don't?
    If you don't want to make paragraphs, but just regular line breaks, use return+shift instead of just return.
    For 1.1. Yes. Child note does it pretty well.

For 1.2. Thank you very much. That response was a five star. The line breaking now satisfies me. I also now have auto-line break.

For 2.2. I feel then for renaming a pdf, I should follow the long cut. First, save it to my Desktop. Rename it. Then store in Zotero.
    I feel then for renaming a pdf, I should follow the long cut. First, save it to my Desktop. Rename it. Then store in Zotero.
    No need - you can rename a pdf (or any other attachment) in Zotero by selecting the pdf, then clicking on the title in the right hand panel. There is a checkbox to chose whether you want to just change the name that appears in Zotero, or rename the file in the filesystem as well. Note that you can't do this when you have the attachment open.
  • Wow! Being using Zotero for years. Never gets it but now. Three thumbs up. You made my day.
  • Thanks! Glad I could help :)

This feature should be better documented IMO (I was using Zotero for over a year before I found out about it too). I'll have a look through the documentation tomorrow and write something about it in the appropriate place.