Private Group - sync files as needed

Hi. I'm trying to set up a private group library but don't want members to download every attached file. I figured that the 'as needed' file sync would be the option for them to use. But it's not working the way I expected. This is the workflow I am attempting to use:

1. I add a reference from Pubmed to My Library. When I click on the attached file I can see the PDF in Zotero, and 'Show File' lists a location on my machine (a Zotero subfolder with the PDF in it).

2. I drag the entry from My Library to the group using the desktop app. I can open the PDF and 'Show File' shows a different subfolder with a copy of the PDF in it (as I would expect).

3. When a member of the group syncs (using data sync and file sync 'as needed' for groups), they can see the new addition to the library on the Desktop app, and the child item shows that there's a PDF. When they try to open it they get a file not found error - and the same when they try 'Show File'

So what am I doing wrong? I assume that 'as needed' sync would download the attachment when the user tries to open it. Is there a way to force the download?

Thanks for any help!
  • The issue turned out to be simple. I did not have file sync turned on as group owner - I had it set to 'as needed' too. Once I changed my file sync option then the file was uploaded to the server and the library member can access it by double-clicking on the file attachment in the desktop app.
  • edited November 18, 2022
    To be clear, "as needed" simply prevents files from being downloaded until they're opened in order to save disk space. It has nothing to do with uploading.