*Urgent: Updated to Ventura 13.0.1 and Zotero not loading items

edited November 14, 2022
Having just updated my MacOS, when I click on the Zotero icon, the Zotero opens but only displays the message "loading items..." and I can no longer cite works from my library.

Requesting urgent help to resolve this issue.

• Note:
    1. My entire library is still visible online in the Zotero 'Web Library'
    2. I use the virtual machine 'Parallels Desktop'
    3. Right before the OS upgrade, I deleted a huge number of pdfs from my Zotero 'Trash' folder
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for Zotero startup, using the "Restart with Logging Enabled…" option?
  • Yes: D1481175738
  • How long have you let it go? You have a very large library, and it's likely just performing some database maintenance. Try waiting longer and it will almost certainly resolve. If you're able to provide a Debug ID for the entire startup process through when it resolves, that would be helpful to see.

(This wouldn't have anything to do with Ventura 13.0.1.)
  • The longest I've left it "Loading items..." is about 8 minutes.

--I'm guessing the Debug report did not flag up any issues?
    --How long would it have to run "Loading items..." before you would suspect a more technical issue?

• Update: You were right!! After letting it run for appx. 45 minutes, the entire library reappeared. Thanks so much for your help.
  • And here is that Debug ID for information now the issue is resolved: D1814223424
  • edited November 14, 2022
    Thanks, but the point would've been to see a Debug ID for the startup that was slow, to see what was taking so long. Once it's resolved, there's nothing relevant to log on a subsequent startup.

I think I know what it was, though — and it was probably triggered by the huge number of deletions. We'll see what we can do.
  • I'm actually curious whether this happens for you any time an item is purged from the trash or whether it was specifically due to the large number of items you had deleted.

If you don't mind, when you're able to leave Zotero alone for a while, could you delete an item, empty the trash, and then restart Zotero with logging enabled and provide the Debug ID?

Also, is this on a computer with a hard disk or an SSD?
  • edited November 14, 2022
    Oh, wait, this is in a Windows VM? A huge database in a VM is certainly not going to have great performance… Is there a particular reason you don't run Zotero natively on the Mac? That's going to be massively faster.