Zotero crash MacOS Monterey

Hi, since a month ago I have not been able to use the Zotero application for Mac. After opening the app, it pops up the screen but it's all just white, showing no options. Interestingly, I can still use the top tool-bar, and so for example, I can import documents (I just can't see anything). This started happening with no previous changes from my end.

I have tried installing different versions of Zotero multiple times with no success. I currently run a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) with MacOS Monterey 12.6.1.

Would greatly appreciate your help!

• edited November 9, 2022
    First, make sure you're using the latest version of Zotero from the download page.

If you are, are you using Dark Mode on your computer? Have you previously run any sort of third-party utility that affects Dark Mode?

Try closing Zotero, opening Terminal (via Spotlight), pasting in this command, and pressing Return:

defaults delete -g NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance

And then restart Zotero.

If that doesn't help, you should try in a new macOS account.
  • Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, I am using the latest version for MacOS: Zotero-6.0.17

Yes, I am using Dark Mode in my computer, but I have not run any third-party utility affecting this mode.

I closed Zotero, and executed the command but it returns:
    2022-11-09 18:17:47.981 defaults[58006:3071970]
    Domain (kCFPreferencesAnyApplication) not found.
    Defaults have not been changed.

Interestingly, I can use Zotero normally in my other MacOS account. However, running the above command also throws the same response. So still have not been able to use Zotero on my main account.

Thanks again!
  • Update

I executed the following command on the terminal, and now it partially works.

defaults write -g NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance -bool Yes

Partially because (1) I must use light mode in my Mac (if I use dark mode, Zotero looks extremely weird, with black horizontal lines), (2) if I use 2 extra screens with the third-party software "DisplayLinkManager", then Zotero stops working whenever I drag it into one of the two screens (which is extremely weird, because if I am only connected to 1 extra screen, that is, not using this software, its all good).
  • I'm afraid you'll have to figure out what in your original account is causing this.