(private) group and one person with unlimited storage

We want to use a private group for collaborative work and I would like to check whether I understood correctly how that works:

- We need a single unlimited storage account.
- All other members of the group can use free accounts and still access the library, add items (including pdf files) to the library and change items (if administrators enable file sharing & editing).
- To get the items of the group library additionnaly stored locally, I would copy/drag them to my local library.

Is that correct?

- What settings do free members need concerning syncing so that everything works?
I saw that you have to enable syncing so that the group library appears in the client (https://www.zotero.org/support/groups; penultimate section). But if free members also copy the group's items into their local library (as back-up or for individual arranging of collections), how do they prevent that their local library gets synced because there would not be enough storage for that? (Respectively - is it possible to only sync group libraries but not the local library? If it is, I would be glad if you told me the exact settings that are needed.)

Thanks for your help!
  • 1+2 are right. 3 isn't:
    Group files are no more or less local than files in My Library. If you sync files, they're on your local machine and that's true for both groups and my library. You can add files to My Library using drag&drop, but that's certainly not necessary to have them available locally.

For settings in the Sync preferences,
    - have data syncing enabled and Sync automatically checked.
    - have sync attachment files in group libraries checked and set to either as needed or at sync time: both work.

Note that they can separately disable file sync for "My Library". Syncing the metadata in My Library is always free and I'd recommend doing that. It's technically possible to not sync "My Library" by unchecking it from under "Choose Libraries", but there's very rarely a reason to do that: certainly not costs.