Some edits to Society of Biblical Literature

I just have a few edits to ask about:

1. Subsequent bibliographic entries should be preceded by ten hash marks, or ideally, a solid line ten spaces long.

ex.
Wilder, Amos. //Eschatology and Ethics in the Teaching of Jesus.// New York: Harper & Bros, 1939.
----------. //Early Christian Rhetoric: The Language of the Gospel.// Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1971.

2. Is there a way to include Series Abbreviations as well as Journal Abbreviations. Almost all biblical commentaries come out of series, but I haven't found a way to abbreviate them. They should be abbreviated in the footnote, but complete in the bibliography

ex.
^4^ Mitchell Dahood, //Psalms// (3 vols.; AB 16-17A; Garden City: Doubleday, 1965-1970), 3:127

Dahood, Mitchell. //Psalms// 3 vols. Anchor Bible 16-17A. Garden City: Doubleday, 1965-1970.

thanks all!
  • I've toyed around a little bit, but I can't seem to get a consistent fix. I tried using an unused field for the Series Abbreviation (I think it was URL), but that sometimes didn't stick.
  • URL is a special field - if you want to use an unusual field, use extra, which can be called by
  • I wasn't able to set the collection title as the "extra" field in the footnotes, but use the collection title as "series" in the bibliography. It was one or the other.
  • sorry, can't follow here - could you elaborate a bit more what you tried to do?
    Obviously the extra field can only be one thing at once - but it should be possible to use "extra" in the footnotes and "collection title" in the bibliography - I'd be surprised if that didn't work.
  • edited December 2, 2009
    Ok, so edited:

<macro name="collection-title">
    <text variable="collection-title"/>
    <text variable="collection-number" prefix=" "/>
    </macro>

to be

<text variable="extra"/>
    </macro>

but it doesn't read the "extra" field, it's just blank. I used the "URL" field because it would copy in.

Regardless, whatever I had listed as the collection-title in this macro was set for the bibliography.

Here are the footnote markings:
    Original (Collection-title)
    John M. Allegro, ed., Qumran Cave 4: I (4Q158-4Q186) (Discoveries in the Judean Desert 5; Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1968).

Desired
    John M. Allegro, ed., Qumran Cave 4: I (4Q158-4Q186) (DJD 5; Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1968).
  • extra isn't "extra" but "note" - sorry! - that doesn't show above because I had it in <> in html mode

so should be <text variable="note"/>
  • Ok, so that works for the footnotes, but not for the bibliography:

n:
    John M. Allegro, ed., Qumran Cave 4: I (4Q158-4Q186) (DJD 5; Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1968).

Bib:
    Allegro, John M., ed. Qumran Cave 4: I (4Q158-4Q186). DJD 5. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1968.

It looks to me like the Bibliography just takes the macro from "collection-title" and uses that for the bibliography. How do I separate the two?
  • edited December 2, 2009
    you'll need to make two different macros and use them in citation and bibliography.

so you put the old "collection-title" macro back in, but add another one that's "collection-title-note" as above with the "note" variable.

Then, in the citation section of the style - replace <text macro="collection-title"/> with
    <text macro="collection-title-note"/>
  • ok, I think I got it:

<macro name="collection-title-note">
    <text variable="note"/>
    </macro>
    <text variable="collection-title"/>
    </macro>
    ***brk***(This was the only other place that used collection-title)
    <macro name="issue-note">
    <choose>
    <if type="article-journal">
    <text variable="volume" prefix=" "/>
    <text variable="issue" prefix=", no. "/>
    <text macro="issued" prefix=" (" suffix=")"/>
    </if>
    <else-if variable="publisher-place publisher" match="any">
    <group prefix=" (" suffix=")">
    <group delimiter="; " suffix="; ">
    <text macro="container-contributors-note"/>
    <text macro="locators-note"/>
    <text macro="collection-title-note"/>
    </group>
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <choose>
    <if variable="title" match="none"> </if>
    <else-if type="thesis speech" match="any">
    <text variable="genre"/>
    </else-if>
    </choose>
    <text macro="event"/>
    </group>
    <text macro="publisher"/>
    <text macro="issued"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </else-if>
    <else>
    <text macro="issued" prefix=", "/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </macro>

And for the bibliography

<bibliography>
    <option name="hanging-indent" value="true"/>
    <option name="et-al-min" value="6"/>
    <option name="et-al-use-first" value="6"/>
    <option name="subsequent-author-substitute" value="----------"/>
    <option name="entry-spacing" value="1"/>
    <sort>
    <key macro="sort-key"/>
    </sort>
    <layout suffix=".">
    <group delimiter=". ">
    <text macro="contributors"/>
    <text macro="title"/>
    <text macro="description"/>
    <text macro="secondary-contributors"/>
    <text macro="container-title"/>
    <text macro="container-contributors"/>
    </group>
    <text macro="locators"/>
    <text macro="collection-title" text-case="capitalize-first" prefix=". "/>
    <text macro="issue"/>
    <text macro="locators-newspaper" prefix=", "/>
    <text macro="locators-journal"/>
    <text macro="access" prefix=". "/>
    "/>
    </layout>
    </bibliography>

I know there is a desire to be elegant with the code, but this seems to work:
    Fn:
    Bib:
    Allegro, John M., ed. Qumran Cave 4: I (4Q158-4Q186). Discoveries in the Judean Desert 5. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1968.

Thanks! Is there a way I can go about suggesting this to other people? There has been some chatter looking for Series Abbreviations in the forums already.
  • You can just upload it somewhere and tell people to use it - I wouldn't upload it to the repository, because the version using the "extra" field is more a hack than a solution.
    I'll see if I can find out if series abbr. is going to be included in zotero.
  • I have another question regarding abbreviations. Most biblical studies encyclopedias are given abbreviations in footnotes, but are not in bibliographies. So the proper footnote for

Ulrich, Eugene. “Daniel, Book of.” Pages 171-174 in Encyclopedia of the Dead Sea Scrolls. Edited by Lawrence H. Schiffman and James VanderKam. New York: Oxford University Press, 2000.

would be
    Eugene Ulrich, “Daniel, Book of,” //EDSS// 171-174.

Is there a way to do that naturally in Zotero? That seems like it's going to be a lot of editing.
  • no - there would have to be a short version for the container title - and there isn't. Put it in as a feature request, maybe people are willing to put it in.
  • My understanding is that if/when CSL gets support for journal abbreviation lists, then this should be doable as well. Frank could probably confirm this, but in that case biblical journal styles could specify lists of biblical studies encyclopedias and accepted abbreviations. If so, this might happen in the early part of next year.
  • I'm working with a grad student right now who is having the series title abbreviation issue and I'm not sure I'm following what she needs to do in order to fix it. Could someone explain and give easy-to-follow steps?

Thanks a lot!
  • CSL 1.0.1 introduced a "citation-title-short" variable: http://citationstyles.org/downloads/release-notes-csl101.html#new-variables-container-title-short-and-title-short

It hasn't yet been mapped to a field in Zotero, though.