User specified BibTeX keys

Hi,

Is there any way I can manually specify the bibtex key used for export? I've been using my bibtex keys in all kinds of situations as shorthand reference to papers (as well as in my dead tree filing system), so this is quite important to me.

Thanks
Neilen
  • This has been discussed before; see here.
  • Well, so it seems it can't be done at the moment, or do I understand the thread wrong? Also, what are the future plans for user specified bibtex keys?

Thanks
    Neilen
  • edited July 13, 2007
    AFAIK it does not now support user-defined keys, and I hope it doesn't in the future without careful thought about how it fits into a more distributed Zotero model.

As I said in the original thread, I don't want to see Zotero privileging BibTeX in any way. Maybe if a key was considered a special kind of user tag in the data model, that might be fine though.

Of course, my opinion is my own; I don't speak for Zotero.
  • I'm sure custom keys could be implemented in a reasonable way. Also I doubt bibtex is the only system that has a concept of unique user specified keys. I don't quite understand why "bibtex privilaging" is such an important issue.

I'd be quite happy if one could choose one of the existing fields to be exported as the bibtex key, or perhaps a specially formatted tag; e.g. an article tagged with key:MyKey99 would export the bibtex key as MyKey99.
  • Bump for this issue.

Currently Zotero breaks my citations in Tex - if I import a citation list, Zotero shouldn't clobber my Keys with its own custom generated keys.

Right now this is the only issue preventing me from moving to Zotero as my primary reference management system.