Backwards capability allowing Word Citations to Zotero Notes?

Hi team,

For background: I'm a long-time user of Zotero and avid fan, but been scared away from the markup formatting because it either seems too complicated to learn in the midst of my studies, or too restrictive when compared to a dedicated Word processor.
I have just found the utility in using Zotero Notes to automatically populate Microsoft Word documents with pre-written responses and citations - law exams!

Now that I have a Word document that is heavily populated with Zotero citations, is there any way that I can copy/import these paragraphs back into Zotero, rather than re-cite everything?

Also, can I change how citations are displayed in Zotero notes from the standard format? It makes it impossible to read and thereon write. I have even removed other citation styles than our footnote format (AGLC4) but it still appears as: ("Whatever Citation", 2022, page 123)

I ask both of these questions because in law, we often cite multiple items at a time. I have a word document with 160+ citations (some nested). I'd love to split it up into smaller, interlinked Zotero notes, but I need to keep these citations in place and I don't have the time to do all this manually.

Endless thanks for your support,
Rhys
  • Also, can I change how citations are displayed in Zotero notes from the standard format?
    Not in the note itself, no, but once you insert it in Word, it should take the citation style of the document in which it is inserted.

(I *think* the answer to question 1 is no, but I'm not sure)
  • Thanks for your response, Adam.
    "Add note" to word does conform the citations to the correct format, but it still means that it's impossible to practically write & cite in Zotero Notes, at least if that reverse-import option is not possible.
    I really thought this could be the solution I've been fantasising about.
  • edited October 31, 2022
    No way to move Word text back into Zotero notes with active citations, no.

Citations in notes just use a placeholder author-date style, but we might add the ability to customize the placeholder citation style in a future version.

But could you explain further how the current format makes it impossible to use for you?
  • " could you explain further how the current format makes it impossible to use for you? "

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wMPaenctuGAx5Id061L7nWhZaU1WHDU9/view?usp=share_link

Here is an image of one sentence I have written that includes 3 points of citation in this sentence because there are 3 statements of law that need to be referenced. There are instances that I will have far more citations than just this.

My purpose is to quickly read the substance of my written sentence. It is a needless waste of time to be forced to scan over a lengthy citation to find the remaining clause(s) of my own written text, and risk missing important details. It would be equally inconvenient to have to create new lines for every citation, or highlight each instance that I write my text so that I can distinguish what is text and what is the citation.

This could be largely overcome by automatically formatting citations to be in a dark-grey like when you hover-over the text, or having a split "preview" window that would truncate the citation as a footnote (e.g. [1]) or even temporarily hide it for the purpose of reading the actual text.
  • That screenshot isn't public, but it's fine — I understand. This is all just describing author-date as opposed to numeric citations, and there are of course entire fields that use author-date styles exclusively, but I'm sure if you're used to reading text with numeric citations they're distracting.

Anyway, we'll think about making the placeholder style customizable in a future version.
    even temporarily hide it for the purpose of reading the actual text
    Note that you can hide annotation citations from the note menu and restore them later. It's not currently possible to hide regular citations in notes.
  • OK that is certainly hard to read!