New laptop now pdfs aren't saving from Chrome connector to desktop

Hello,
For the last month I would use the connector to download full pdfs to desktop application. All was well. I got a new laptop, synced Zotero desktop, all is well except chrome connector doesn't download pdf. It shows red x.
I have removed extension, re-loaded it...but still doesn't work.
Please advise.
  • Can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero for a save attempt that results in a red X in the connector?
  • I linked to instructions.
  • [JavaScript Error: "www-tandfonline-com.uproxy.library.[…]:443 uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
    The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates.
    An additional root certificate may need to be imported.

Error code: SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER
    Your institution's proxy server is misconfigured. You'll want to report this to your IT department, sending them to this page:

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/incomplete_cert_chain

They can see that the SSL Labs test shows "Chain issues: Incomplete" for the proxy domain.
  • But this happens with every single pdf I try to download on my new laptop. The other laptop works fine. Same institution, same log in.
  • Here's another one.

D663247557
  • edited October 24, 2022
    It would happen for any PDF you try to download through your proxy server. It wouldn't happen for an ungated PDF.

The linked page explains how this might happen to work sometimes due to caching, but the proxy server here is broken, and you'll need to report this to your IT department for them to fix it. Again, you can see the problem in the SSL Labs test, which has nothing to do with Zotero, demonstrating that this is a problem outside of Zotero.
  • But I can download these pdfs in the exact same way on my other laptop. So it is not an issue with their proxy either.

Is it a potential problem with having two desktop zoteros and two laptops with chrome extensions?
  • If you're going to post here, you should assume we know what we're talking about. I'm telling you exactly what the problem is and I linked to a page explaining to your IT department how to fix it.

Everyone at your institution using Zotero will be affected by this unless they happen to download things from a site that properly sends the intermediate certificate that your institution's proxy server is failing to serve. That's the only reason your other computer would've worked. The proxy server is broken.
  • If you still don't believe me, you can create a new Firefox profile and load the proxy domain. You'll get a security error:
    Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to www-tandfonline-com.uproxy.library.[…]. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the website, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it.

If you are on a corporate network or using anti-virus software, you can reach out to the support teams for assistance. You can also notify the website’s administrator about the problem.
  • I do not doubt your expertise. I just went to my other laptop and attempted to download that article into Zotero so that I could further understand the issue to share with my IT department.

The pdf downloaded no problem.

So I don't know how to share the problem with my IT department if it worked one laptop and not the other?

This is why I asked if there is an issue with the accounts on the new laptop.

Not sure why you had a snarky tone when I'm simply just trying to use Zotero, in its super helfup ways, in the same way as I did yesterday on my previous laptop.
  • edited October 24, 2022
    You don't need to do anything other than send your IT department to that page. That's it. It explains in detailed technical terms what the problem is. This isn't your problem, and there is absolutely nothing else you can do about it.
  • This was helpful until you turned rude. I'm a person behind these words looking for help. Hope you have more patience for the next person.
  • I'm just trying to save you and us time. I linked to a detailed technical page and told you exactly what to do in my first reply 40 minutes ago, and you continued to argue with me and tell me that I must be mistaken.
  • New laptop gives red x on pdf when Chrome connector is used to save article.
    Old laptop saved exact same article just fine.

Asked this question two days ago and was told to give this link to IT department
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/incomplete_cert_chain

They told me this wasn't an issue and that my issue was with my new laptop and software .

Debug message from today is Debug D1949340673

Is there anything else I can try?
  • I also get this error in Connector

[JavaScript Error: "No tab with id: 957371167."]

Is this relevant at all?
  • Sorry, no. They have set up EZProxy in a broken way and need to fix it.
    As dstillman explained in your old thread, this can be verified on independent websites (including on your old or any other computer), so absolutely, provably has nothing to do with your new laptop, so your IT department is plain wrong (and 1000s of peer institutions using EZProxy manage to do this right).

Trying to get someone with more technical expertise in IT to look at this might be an option. You could also try to figure out who is actually responsible for EZProxy setup at your institution, which is most commonly the library. They may be more amenable and capable of fixing this.
  • @erikagrogangraham: Please do not start new threads for the same issue. I've moved this back to this thread.

No one here is going to give you a different answer, because there is no other answer. Your IT department is wrong, and you yourself can see that they're wrong from the third-party test described on the linked page. It's not our job to teach them how to properly set up a secure web server, but if they email us at support@zotero.org, we can repeat what's on the linked page. You shouldn't have to deal with this.

I'm afraid that's really all we can say on this.