Editor name not shown in citation

Hello,
When I cite an item that is an edited book in a note, the editor name does not appear. Instead of (name, year), it displays as ("title", year). I have tried this with several edited books and it does seem to be consistently doing that.

Using APA version 7 formatting. Editor should be treated same as author.

Seems like bug (?)
--L
  • The style does this correctly, so something else going on. How are you generating the citation ?
  • I've tried it a couple of ways.
    1) drag from list to note
    2) use citation button at top of note.
    In the citation bar, the citation looks correct, but then when I actually insert it into the note, I see the title rather than the names.
  • Windows 11 (but had this occur under Windows 10 a couple of weeks ago, as well)
  • Oh, you're talking about notes, sorry, I had missed that. I think this is probably worth addressing (i.e., like most styles, the citation should fall back to editors where they are no authors), but note that the "Citations" inserted in notes are to a significant extent placeholders: they don't follow any specific citation style (the similarities to APA 7 are coincidental).

When you cite that note using the word processor, though, all citations are picked up by the word processor add-on and converted into the citation style of that document, whether that's APA, footnotes like Chicago, or number like Vancouver. They also link to the item in question in export and have other nice features.
  • So... I am a little puzzled about this bit in your message:

"When you cite that note using the word processor, though, all citations are picked up by the word processor add-on and converted into the citation style of that document, whether that's APA, footnotes like Chicago, or number like Vancouver. They also link to the item in question in export and have other nice features."

I had thought I would be able to export my notes (including citations) and paste them into Word, and have the citations be correct. That is not happening for me.
    I have tested exporting to an HTML file, then copy-pasting into Word, and exporting to Clipboard, and then copy-pasting into Word.

With both it is only exact text that is copied, no conversion of the citations.

Am I not understanding how this should work?

If I am actively writing in Word, I can pull in the citations correctly. But I had been hoping to largely write in Notes in Zotero for first round, then move them out into Word.

(I'm a fairly new user of Zotero, so still sorting things out.)

Thanks in advance!
    --L
  • edited October 20, 2022
    You insert notes into Word using the plugin's Add Note button. That's the only way Zotero can create actual Zotero citations in your document.

https://www.zotero.org/blog/zotero-6/#adding_notes_to_word_processors
  • Thank you @dstillman! I had totally missed that :)
    And it does correct the issue that I opened this discussion with- the citations do show editor names, not titles.

Happy dance :)
    --L