iOS platform bug report: unexpected undo/eraser tool

Bug description:
The app behaved normally when I tried to undo my handwriting by clicking the undo button. But the undone handwriting appeared again in a few seconds. Even if I used the eraser tool instead of the undo button, the erased handwriting may appear again.

Environments:
iPad Pro (12.9 inches, 4th gen.) with iOS 15.7 and Apple pencil
Zotero version: iOS 1.0.6

Thanks very much for your support.

By the way, it would be really appreciated if any future Zotero update could consider (i) the Apple pencil double tap feature for pencil/eraser switching, and (ii) a "selection tool" to select all handwriting for movement or deletion. :)
  • @rlDos can you still reproduce this in latest update? Is this easily reproducible for you? Do you have any special reproduction steps? I'm trying to reproduce on my end, but they don't re-appear for me.
  • Hi, @michalrentka,

Yes, this issue occasionally occurs with Zotero 1.0.7 on iOS. I wrote down something on my iPad and opened **the same document** in Zotero on my Windows PC for reference. I noticed that my Windows Zotero was syncing when this issue occurred. I am wondering whether this issue comes from the unexpected syncing of Zotero.

Thanks for your time. :)
  • +1, I ran into this issue too.

I guess it might be caused by sync. I think it might help if we add a "save" button, so files will not be synced so frequently.
  • @Sciroccogti can you provide a bit more info? What app version are you on? Can you reproduce the issue or does it happen randomly? What tools are you using when it happens? I tried to reproduce the issue but couldn't anymore.
  • edited January 6, 2023
    @michalrentka
    All right, the version is 1.0.8 Build 10 on iPadOS 16.2, and I'm using webdev syncing and I also opened the same document in Zotero 6.0.19-beta.12+0862e1e1b on my Linux desktop.

I remembered that this issue also happened when I used to use Zotero's own sync service, and I thought it may be fixed by turning to webdev, but apparently it haven't.

Here's some attempts to reproduce this:
    1. Zotero opened on desktop, but the doc not opened on desktop, and draw lines on iPad: Nothing wrong;
    2. The same doc opened on desktop, use eraser on iPad then immediately draw something new: lines will be erased for a while, but come back just in seconds. This does not happen all the time, but has a large possibility.
    3. The same doc opened on desktop, drawing fast on iPad: Sometimes the newly drawn lines will disappear.

It also can be caused by the slight difference between the system time on iPad and Linux desktop. My Linux desktop's time cannot be synced automatically for some reason, so it's a second slower.
  • @Sciroccogti thanks for your description. I'm trying to follow it as best as I can but still can't reproduce this. Are you also doing something on the desktop app while drawing/erasing on iPad? Are you also switching between pages? Do you have single or multiple pages visible? Can you reproduce this on single page too?
  • @Sciroccogti: Can you also provide Debug IDs from both apps for reproducing this?
  • iPad: D1864058913
    Linux: D817726971

Sorry for the late respond, I was on vacation.
  • @Sciroccogti can you try to reproduce this on latest beta? If you don't want to stay on beta you can go back to App Store version later.
  • It is reproduced:
    iPad: D1462810211
    Linux: D1289473980

It seems that the sync is less frequent now, so it's less likely to run into now. But it's still there.
  • We're looking into this.
  • @Sciroccogti: We believe we've fixed this in Zotero 6.0.22, available now. Can you update to that and let us know if you can still reproduce this?
  • @dstillman: I tried but haven't run into the same issue yet. I guess you have fixed it! If it occurs again, I will report here.

Now the handwriting seems to be only synced when a block is finished or there has been a while that nothing is changed. That is reasonable.