Go back to default Zotero file storage behavior

This discussion was created from comments split from: "Locate..." button in the File Not Found dialog not working.
  • Hello dstillman,

I think I totaly messed up my zotero database because I'd like to try zotfile but this workflow isn't really ideal for multi-computer purpose. I will use the "saved search" method to get my pdfs listed and keep the zotero "strange path" behaviour. So, I'd like to get back to default zotero behaviour but I don't know how to do.

I thought I could edit some database file to massively change path but it seems zotero doesn't work like this.

How could I fix this ?
  • You can use Tools → Manage Attachments → Convert Linked Files to Stored Files, but the files will need to be accessible on the computer where you run that, so you'll need to set the Linked Attachment Base Directory correctly first and confirm that you can open the files.

If you're still having trouble accessing your files after changing that setting, the latest Zotero beta should be a bit more helpful at recovering from mistakes in that setting and finding linked files.
  • Hi,

thanks for your reply, I used it and it partialy solved some problems. I think I gonna avoid the beta version for now, I still have 62 entries to manualy rebuild so it's not so hard to do.

thanks again :)