Chicago Manual of Style (note) add newspaper title and date

Hello everyone,

I am using the Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (note). While I am happy about the quotation style of books and journals, I would like newspaper articles to be quoted with the name of the newspaper and the publication date. Is it possible make changes in the editor so that this information is displayed in the footnotes?

Thanks and kind regards,
Kevin
  • edited October 11, 2022
    Chicago-17-note already prints that out like so:

Foderaro, Lisa W. “Rooftop Greenhouse Will Boost City Farming.” New York Times. April 6, 2012.

If you don't see that, please check your metadata.
  • Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, in my case, it just cites the article title:

„Assassination of Austrian Heir and His Consort“.

In the preview, it is shown in two different ways:

Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (note)

„Assassination of Austrian Heir and His Consort“.
    Hong Kong Daily Press. „Assassination of Austrian Heir and His Consort“. 30. Juni 1914.

But it is only shown in the first way.

How do I check metadata?

Don't necessarily go by the preview window. Insert it in your document and go by that.

If it's shortened then it begs the question if you had already cited this item and that's why it just gives author and title.

Checking metadata:
    In Zotero itself, on the right. Is this item actually using the right item type? "Newspaper article"
    Are all the necessary fields filled in? ("Publication", "Date")
  • It is about items that are cited for the first time.

I checked the metadata, and the relevant entries had the fields "publication" and "date" filled in.

Is there any other explanation?
    1. Open a new document, choose the correct citation style and tell us the exact name of the chosen style
    2. Cite this one item
    3. Tell us if it works or not
  • Thanks for staying with me!

I did what you said: opened a new document, chose Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (note), cited a newspaper article that has all information.

Unfortunately, it is still the same problem. It only shows the article title, not the publication name or date.
    Sorry, I didn't see in your initial message you were talking about the footnotes.
    That would require customisation and for Chicago that's not so easy.

Let me work on that and come back to you.

edit:

This code adds this functionality for newspapers. You can add this in line 1340 for example.

<choose>
    <if type="article-newspaper" match="any">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text variable="container-title"/>
    <date variable="issued" form="numeric" date-parts="year"/>
    </group>
    </if>
    </choose>

Just to make sure though -- would the full note Chicago style not work for you? That gives you the full Newspaper citation
  • edited October 12, 2022
    Thank you damnation for the code! Unfortunately, it has not worked yet. In the editor, the addition looks as follows:

edit: How do I display code in here?
  • edited October 12, 2022
    @adamsmith Full-note does not work for me, unfortunately. For books, it is too long. But for newspaper articles, only the title is not enough. But thanks for the hint!
  • Please use pastebin.com for code.
    (You can edit your post above)