[sic] becomes [Sic] in reference

I'm working with zotero for my first paper. I have not made any configuration choices that I'm aware of. I'm exporting in Better BibTex to import the file into Overleaf for a Computer Science paper. There is no target publication specified(e.g., IEEE or ACM).
I'm citing this title:
"The Elements of Geometrie of the Most Auncient Philosopher Euclide of Megara".
The Euclid who wrote this is "of Alexandria", so I added a "[sic]" to this title. I already cite the author as Euclid of Alexandria.
When I print from Overleaf it shows up [Sic]. Naively I thought I could put a LaTeX fix and added "\lowercase{[sic]} but that obviously failed.

Suggestions about how to make a lowercase [sic] appear?
  • Just to make sure I understand -- the [Sic] gets capitalized in the exported bibtex file or only in the LaTeX output. I'm assuming the former, but a bit unclear from what you write.

The first thing I'd try would be to sentence case the title in Zotero:
    "The elements of geometries of the most ancient philosopher Euclide of Megara [sic]" would be the expected input in Zotero -- given that, I'd expect BBT export to properly protect your lowercase

• It turns out that [sic] becomes [Sic] in the Better Bibtex exported file--for all case categories. I tried all three options: BBT, Sentence, and Title. So I guess I'll go knock on their door.
  • I raised issue #2276 at https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-better-bibtex/ in case anyone wants to track it there.
  • edited October 8, 2022
    If you render a title-case style (such as CMoS) bibliography from that title, Zotero also turns it into Sic. If Zotero exempts sic from capitalization, I will make BBT follow suit. The short-term solution for both Zotero and BBT is to enter the title as
    The elements of geometries of the most auncient philosopher Euclide of Megara [<span class="nocase">sic</span>]
    (the title does actually have "auncient" it seems)
  • I've tried this and it works for me. A note to the unwary: the surrounding "[]" pair show up in the results, so they should not be repeated around sic. If instead of the recommended string you enter >[sic]< you will get "[[sic]]" in the results. Thanks to emilianoeheyns for that suggestion. My issue with Better Bibtex has been closed with a similar suggestion.
  • You mean you get [[sic]] in the better bibtex export? I don't see that. I do see {{sic}}, and that is as it should be -- it means bibtex will not change the case on sic, which is what you want. If you mean you get double brackets using [<span class="nocase">[sic]</span>], then well yes, if you include double brackets in the title, they'll show up in the output.

The answer on github (<span class="nocase">[sic]</span>) is functionally the same, since the brackets are not affected by case-changes.