Discrepancies in Chicago Manual of Style 17

This discussion was created from comments split from: Inconsistent and wrong citations.
  • I have noticed a few discrepancies with the Chicago Manual of Style 17.

1) Zotero creates incorrect footnotes of book sections with one author and translators (full note, short title subsequent):
    - Annabel Zettel and Martin Richter, trans., “Einleitung,” in King Cotton: Eine Geschichte Des Globalen Kapitalismus, by Sven Beckert (München: C.H.Beck, 2014), 7–18.

Instead of this (according to Chicago 17):
    - Sven Beckert, “Einleitung,” in King Cotton: Eine Geschichte Des Globalen Kapitalismus, trans. by Annabel Zettel and Martin Richter (München: C.H.Beck, 2014), 7–18.

2) When I cite a book section I get this instead of having the name of the author in the beginning:
    - “Slaving in Historical Africa: Early Times to ca. 2000 BCE,” in The Problem of Slavery as History: A Global Approach, by Joseph C. Miller (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2012), 90–96.

3) Another problem I struggle with is that Zotero identifies years mentioned in the title as page numbers of a book section or an article:

- Inés Roldán de Montaud, “On the Blurred Boundaries of Freedom: Liberated Africans in Cuba, 1817–1870,” in New Frontiers of Slavery, ed. Dale W. Tomich, Fernand Braudel Center Studies in Historical Social Science (Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, 2016), 1817–1870.

4) Is there any opportunity to make citations in different languages, I mean having Bd. instead of Vol. etc.?

Are there any ways to deal with these issues? I'll be really thankful for any suggestions.
  • 1/2 -- you have the author as book author, not as author -- even if the person wrote the whole book, if they authored the section, you want them as author.

3 would be unrelated to the style -- that's using the word processor add-on?

4 you can switch the language for the entire bibliography (under Document Preferences in the word processor), but not for individuals works

• @adamsmith, 1/2 now works perfectly, thank you!

3) I use this add-on: Zotero Word for Windows Integration. Is there anything else I should add/install for the program?

4) I see, thanks!
  • 3) then this would look like it's entered wrongly in Zotero. Did you double check the metadata?
  • I'm actually wondering if this might be a bug in the add-on with the title flowing into the locator. Let me test
  • For 3), I can reproduce this when you paste the whole title into the search bar of the add-citation tool. That then interprets the numbers preceded by a comma as a page range. I'd probably classify this as a bug (though it's the result of generally desirable behavior, i.e. the ability to add a page range by typing ", 1817-1870" in the search bar after the reference). You can easily notice when this happens because "pp. 1817-1870 will appear in the search bar. In that case press ctrl+down on your keyboard (cmd+down on a Mac) or use click on the grey/blue citation and remove the unwanted/wrong page range from the dialog that pops up. https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#customizing_cites
  • We could try to avoid triggering page detection on paste. Beyond that, I don't think we'd change this. (And of course there's no real need to paste in the full title.)
  • Yeah, that's kind of what I thought here.
  • Great, thank you all for the suggestions! It works perfectly now.
  • edited October 20, 2022
    - How can I cite introductions and fore- / afterwords in Chicago style? I can't find any other options except a book section, but it doesn't correspond to the style. I need a citation to be like this:
    Priya Satia, introduction to Empire of Guns: The Violent Making of the Industrial Revolution (New York: Penguin Press, 2018), 1–23.

- When I cite different works by the same author in one footnote, Zotero doesn't choose a short author's name but uses its full version. I don't use Add Citation box, because there are around 5-10 cited works in one footnote, so this option is not very comfortable for me. Are there any other options?
  • - Zotero doesn't capitalize the first word of the subtitle (placed after the colon or semicolon) when the whole title is in de/fr/spa. Is it possible to fix it?
    Claude Meillassoux, Anthropologie de l’esclavage: le ventre de fer et le argent (Paris: Presses Universitaires de France, 1986).
  • How can I cite introductions and fore- / afterwords in Chicago style? I can't find any other options except a book section
    It's not well supported (and I think using a standard book section citation is fine -- not sure why Chicago has the weird special treatment of introductions).
    You can enter the introduction as a book with the title as
    Introduction to Empire of Guns: The Violent Making of the Industrial Revolution

That will get the italics right (reversing them in the citation so introduction to is roman letters) and only miss the capitalization for the note.
    When I cite different works by the same author in one footnote, Zotero doesn't choose a short author's name but uses its full version.
    I don't see shortened author names for works by the same author in a single note in the Chicago Manual -- but no, can't be done if you want it and I don't really see us supporting this.
    Zotero doesn't capitalize the first word of the subtitle (placed after the colon or semicolon) when the whole title is in de/fr/spa. Is it possible to fix it?
    Not possible, no. We do this automatically in APA style (including in English), so we could consider doing this for non-English Chicago style as well, but I'm a bit worried about properly describing this to avoid unintended consequences: e.g. non-English titles may also have different subtitle delimiters and I'm not sure to which set of styles we'd want this applied.

• "It's not well supported (and I think using a standard book section citation is fine -- not sure why Chicago has the weird special treatment of introductions).
    You can enter the introduction as a book with the title as
    Introduction to Empire of Guns: The Violent Making of the Industrial Revolution"

'Introduction' shouldn't be capitalized or in italics, but the name of the book should be in italics. So I see that the only option for me here is to edit citations in the Word document (info about this can be found at 14.110, the Chicago Manual of Style, 17th Edition).

"I don't see shortened author names for works by the same author in a single note in the Chicago Manual"

Information about this is at 14.35 in Chicago, 17th.

• edited October 24, 2022
    'Introduction' shouldn't be capitalized or in italics, but the name of the book should be in italics.
    Right, that's what I was referring to -- if you enter "Introduction to" in Zotero in italics (i.e. surrounded by <i> </i>tags) in a book item type, Zotero will revert italicization in the references, putting the book title in italics and "Introdution to" in roman. You will have to fix the capital letter (unless you're not using a bibliography: in that case, using
    <i><span class="nocase">introduction</span> to</i> will work, but this does break capitalization in the bibliography)
    Information about this is at 14.35 in Chicago, 17th.
    I don't think 14.35 is particularly clear on what they want, and the examples in 14.34 aren't helpful. If you really want to do this, I think suppress author and manually adding the author's last name as a prefix might work.
  • "Right, that's what I was referring to -- if you enter "Introduction to" in Zotero in italics (i.e. surrounded by tags) in a book item type, Zotero will revert italicization in the references, putting the book title in italics and "Introdution to" in roman. You will have to fix the capital letter (unless you're not using a bibliography: in that case, using
    introduction to will work, but this does break capitalization in the bibliography)"

Nice, thanks! But how can put a part of the title in italics in Zotero?

"I don't think 14.35 is particularly clear on what they want, and the examples in 14.34 aren't helpful. If you really want to do this, I think suppress author and manually adding the author's last name as a prefix might work."

Yeah, that's what I was doing. I just hoped that there's an option to not break the link with Zotero :)
  • Nice, thanks! But how can put a part of the title in italics in Zotero?
    by literally using HTML tags as in my post above.
    I just hoped that there's an option to not break the link with Zotero :)
    Using omit author in the Word add-on doesn't break the link to Zotero, nor does adding things in the prefix. Just don't manually edit the citation. See https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#customizing_cites
  • Great, thanks!
  • edited December 1, 2022
    I've noticed some discrepancies in a bibliography.
    In cited chapters of individual volumes, Zotero places pages in the wrong place and omits ‘Vol.’ which should be capitalized and placed after the dot. For instance, Zotero cites:
    ———. “Enslavement in the Ottoman Empire in the Early Modern Period.” In The Cambridge World History of Slavery, edited by David Eltis, Stanley L. Engerman, K. R. Bradley, Paul Cartledge, Craig Perry, David Richardson, and Seymour Drescher, 3, AD 1420–AD 1804:25–46. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2011.

Should be (according to Chicago, 14.120):
    ———. “Enslavement in the Ottoman Empire in the Early Modern Period.” In The Cambridge World History of Slavery, edited by David Eltis, Stanley L. Engerman, K. R. Bradley, Paul Cartledge, Craig Perry, David Richardson, and Seymour Drescher, 25–46. Vol. 3, AD 1420–AD 1804. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2011.

Also, I can’t find the place in Zotero for volume titles (sometimes they are mentioned in addition to the book title).
    Also, I might have found another bug.
    According to the Chicago Manual, 17th (14.23 Notes and Bibliography) ‘translated / edited by…’ should be placed first and page numbers of the chapter should be placed at the end. But Zotero makes it this way (it even uses sentence case for a word placed after a dot):

Muñoz García, Ángel. “Aristóteles; una sociedad imposible sin esclavitud.” In Corregidores, encomenderos, cabildos y mercaderes: Thesaurus indicus, by Diego de Avendaño, 123–68. translated by Ángel Muñoz García. Pamplona: EUNSA, 2007.

———. “Introducción.” In Un tratado sobre la esclavitud – De instauranda Aethiopum salute, by Alonso de Sandoval, 15–44. edited and translated by Enriqueta Vila Vilar. Madrid: Alianza Editorial, 1987.
    And here 'Vol.' is capitalized, while it shouldn't. Is it because of my mistake or is it a bug?

———. “Introducción.” In Derecho, Consejo y Virreyes de Indias: Thesaurus indicus, by Diego de Avendaño, translated by Ángel Muñoz García, Vol. I, Tít. I–III (1668). Pamplona: EUNSA, 2001.

Ballón Vargas, José Carlos. “El Thesaurus indicus [1668] de Diego de Avendaño y los orígenes coloniales de la filosofía en el Perú.” In La complicada historia del pensamiento filosófico peruano, siglos XVII y XVIII (Selección de textos, notas y estudios), edited by José Carlos Ballón Vargas, Vol. 2. Lima: Universidad Científica del Sur – Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos / Ediciones del Vicerrectorado Académico, 2011.