Error message "The attached file could not be found at the following path"

Hello,

I have a small problem using sync for data but not for attached files with 2 computers. The problem I have is the following:
1) I add an item on with a pdf attached on computer 1
2) Data are synchronized
3) On computer 2 I synchronized the datas, I get the item without the PDF (that's expected).
4) I retrieve the pdf online (on the website, not the on the zotero online library) and attach it to the item. Then data are sync again
5) Back on computer 1, I cannot access the PDF anymore. Zotero says "The attached file could not be found at the following path: /Users/username/Zotero/storage/4WK2FVK9/43247_2022_419_MOESM1_ESM.pdf".

What I noticed is that I still have the file on computer 1 but stored in "/Users/username/Zotero/storage/TRSWX5BF/". I supposed that sync has somewhat synchronized the path of the file on computer 2.

My questions:
- Am I doing something wrong with sync and attachment management?
- Is there a way to solve that problem? I do not want to load all the attachment files on the online library.

Nb: I am using macOS (Catalina and Monterey) and the latest versions of Zotero. I use the "save to Zotero" module on firefox and the "Better bibtex" module.

I tried my best to explain the problem. Let me know if it is not clear and if more infos are needed. I have been through the discussions to see if this problem was already mentioned, I could not find anything. Let me know if I missed something.

Many thanks,

Damien

• edited October 6, 2022
    In general, see Files Not Syncing, but you're just at your file sync quota, and will be receiving a message about that whenever you sync on the computer where you added the files.

Wait, so you're saying that you're not using file syncing, and you're just going and re-locating that attachment on the other computer with a newly downloaded file?

That's not a workflow that we've ever designed for. If you turn off file syncing, it means you just only have the files on the computer where they were added. If you go and re-locate the file on another computer, Zotero would register that as a file change, and then the other computer would delete the file in preparation for downloading the new one, and then the new one wouldn't exist because it wasn't ever uploaded.

If you really want to work this way, you can add a second attachment on the other computer, and then some attachments would only exist on one computer and some would exist on the other, without interfering with each other.

• edited October 6, 2022
    Or you are in fact adding separate attachments and just looking for the file in the wrong one? If you just double-click on the parent item, Zotero will open the first attachment attached to the item, so if you're adding two attachments but not syncing the files then double-clicking the parent item will only work on one computer. To open the other, you would have to expand the parent item and double-click on the attachment that has the file locally.
  • That was a fast reply, many thanks.

Yes I am not using file syncing, only data syncing because what I am mainly interested is to have the references synchronize.

So it sounds like what you described is happening. Because I add "manually" the pdf file on computer 2 (and then after that I usually delete the attached pdf file that I could not open but was still appearing), Zotero register that as a file change and then create a new subfolder and change the path.

The solution you offered seems to be the way to go, having 2 attachments and open the file by clicking on the attachment that has the file locally.

Another question then. Because I have done this several times (adding manually the pdf in computer 2, then on computer 1 again, then computer 2...), I have now several copies of one pdf file stored in different subfolders (on computer 1, and probably on computer 2 too). They do not appear on Zotero, just when I look for them using the Finder. Any recommendation on an easy way to keep only one copy.

On question out of curiosity: why this choice of creating a subfolder for each of the attached files? Why not creating one subfolder for each parent item and then gathering all the attached files in this subfolder? I have been a bit through the documentation, but I have not found anything about that. I may have missed it, though.
  • edited October 6, 2022
    and then create a new subfolder and change the path.
    No, it's not changing the path. It sounds like you're just adding a second attachment, which has nothing to do with the first one. You'll see both attachments under the parent item. But since Zotero will always open the PDF that was added first when you double-click the parent item, that will only work on the computer that has the PDF you added first. To open the other, you would have to expand the parent item and double-click on the attachment that actually has a file on that computer.
    Because I have done this several times (adding manually the pdf in computer 2, then on computer 1 again, then computer 2...), I have now several copies of one pdf file stored in different subfolders (on computer 1, and probably on computer 2 too). They do not appear on Zotero, just when I look for them using the Finder.
    You most likely just haven't emptied the trash. Zotero manages these files — you don't need to worry about it.
    On question out of curiosity: why this choice of creating a subfolder for each of the attached files?
    Because they're totally separate attachments, and all sorts of things (syncing, full-text indexing, etc.) depend on their being in dedicated folders. This is how Zotero manages files in a reliable way.
  • Ok, I see what you mean with the double attachments. Before I was removing the attachments I could not open on one computer, let's say on computer 1. What was the effect on computer 2 then? After sync, computer 2 also remove the attachment?

About the multiple PDF files, I usually empty the trash regularly and some of the files I am talking about are 3 or 4-month-old. e.g. I spotted a file I have 3 times. I noticed one is from "My Library", one from a "Group Library", but I do not know what is the last related to? Note that I sync the files from the group libraries. Note also that I only have one attachment under the parent item. Could it be that this third files is actually the one that I can access on the other computer?

You are probably right, it may be related to the trash. I just emptied the trash yesterday. I guess Zotero will "clean" the files that are not in the Library anymore right? When should I see the effect on the files?

Thanks for your time and your explanations.
  • Before I was removing the attachments I could not open on one computer, let's say on computer 1. What was the effect on computer 2 then? After sync, computer 2 also remove the attachment?
    Yes, it syncs.

Zotero manages the 'storage' folder. Don't worry about it. If there are orphaned files for some reason, they'll be cleaned up automatically at some point in the future.
  • Ok.
    Thanks for your help.