(Report ID: 2145422987) Add Note from Annotations stopped working

1. Suddenly, when I select "Add Note from Annotation,"on a newly annotated pdf, an Annotations note is not produced.

2. When I select "Add Note from Annotation" from an item that has a pre-exiting Annotations note, an Annotations note is produced. However, if I add a new annotation to it, and then select "Add Note from Annotation," the note is produced, but the note does not contain the new annotation.

I was inclined to reinstall Zotero, but I think I should wait for instructions.
  • Can you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for this not working?
  • I'm not sure I'm following this. Can you provide precise steps to reproduce for the various things you mention above?
  • macOS 12.4
    Zotero 6.0.14

Restarted Zotero, then performed #1 and #2, below:

Click on (highlight) Item containing NEW annotated pdf;
    Right-click Add Note from Annotations;
    No Annotations note appears in the Item;
    No error message appeared on my screen.

Click on (highlight) Item containing PREEXISTING annotated pdf, and preexisting Annotations notes;
    Open pdf contained in Item; appended new comment to existing comment, close pdf;
    Right click Add Note from Annotations;
    Annotations note appears in the Item, but the newly appended comment is not in the new Annotations note;
    No error message appeared on my screen.
  • edited September 29, 2022
    And these are annotations you're making in the built-in PDF reader?

If you add a new PDF to your library with a parent item and add a single highlight annotation in the built-in PDF reader, and then use Add Note from Annotations, are you saying no new note appears under the parent item?
  • The answer to your question is "no." However, I am not using the built-in PDF reader. I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. I have been doing this regularly and seemingly without any problems before today. I tested as follows. It looks like Zotero will not create Annotations notes from annotations that come out of Acrobat, only from the Zotero PDF reader. And, in the one instance (Third Example), Acrobat did not read the annotation made by the Zotero reader.

I think there may be some anomalies that I'm not technologically knowledgeable to recognize, but, at least in my case, I am having a problem. I prefer using Acrobat, and I say this respectfully, you offer us the option of using other PDF readers, so Zotero should work with Acrobat. At this point, I am invested in both. Please help me with a fix.

FIRST EXAMPLE

1. Imported new, unannotated pdf into Zotero;
    2. Open pdf in Acrobat;
    3. Annotated the pdf;
    4. Right-click "Add Note from Annotations;"
    5. NO NOTE ADDED

6. Open same pdf in Zotero PDF reader;
    7. All annotations made using Acrobat (see step #3) are visible; close pdf;
    8. Right-click "Add Note from Annotations;"
    9. ANNOTATION NOTE ADDED WITH ALL ANNOTATIONS MADE IN ACROBAT

10. Open same pdf in Acrobat;
    11. All annotations originally made are visible;
    12. Add a new highlight; save;
    13. Right-click "Add Note from Annotations;"
    14. ANNOTATION NOTE ADDED BUT DOES NOT CONTAIN NEW HIGHLIGHT (see step #12); ONLY CONTAINS THE ANNOTATIONS THAT WERE IN THE ZOTERO NOTE (see step #9).

SECOND EXAMPLE

1. Imported new, pdf into Zotero that was already annotated in Acrobat;
    2. Open pdf in Zotero reader, import annotations;
    3. Right-click "Add Note from Annotations;"
    4. ANNOTATIONS NOTE ADDED TO WITH ALL ANNOTATIONS MADE IN ACROBAT

5. Open same pdf in Acrobat:
    6. All annotations NOT visible;
    7. Annotate pdf again in Acrobat; save;
    8. Right-click "Add Note from Annotations;"
    9. ANNOTATION NOTE ADDED BUT DOES NOT CONTAIN THE ANNOTATIONS MADE IN ACROBAT (see step #7); IT ONLY CONTAINS THE ANNOTATIONS THAT WERE IN THE ZOTERO NOTE (see step #4).

THIRD EXAMPLE

1. Imported new pdf into Zotero that was already annotated in Acrobat;
    2. Open pdf in Acrobat, added new annotation;
    3. Right-click "Add Note from Annotations;"
    4. No Note created

5. Open same pdf in Zotero;
    6. All annotations made in Acrobat are visible;
    7. Do not import annotations;
    8. Add new annotation; close
    9. Right-click "Add Note from Annotations;"
    10. ANNOTATIONS NOTE ADDED WITH ALL ANNOTATIONS IN THE NOTE

11. Open same pdf in Acrobat;
    12. Only Acrobat annotations are visible, not the new annotation made in Zotero reader (see step #8);
    13. Right-click "Add Note from Annotations;"
    14. ANNOTATIONS NOTE ADDED CONTAINING ALL ANNOTATIONS MADE, INCLUDING THE NEW ANNOTATION MADE IN ZOTERO THAT WAS NOT VISIBLE IN ACROBAT
  • 1) Please don't use all-caps.
    I prefer using Acrobat, and I say this respectfully, you offer us the option of using other PDF readers, so Zotero should work with Acrobat.
    2) Not sure why you're talking like this, but obviously if there's a problem we'll fix it. We're just trying to understand what exactly you're doing so that we can fix it.

Thanks for the steps. We'll investigate.
  • I know…you guys are always helpful. I like your PDF reader, but I like Acrobat a little more, and have been using it since Acrobat 4. I guess I was afraid I'd have to give up Acrobat to use Zotero, and I want the best of both worlds!
  • This should be fixed in the latest Zotero beta, and the fix will be included in 6.0.15 soon. If you’re able to try the beta, let us know if that fixes the problem for you.
  • I have the same problem since today.
    When I import a pdf annotated in Adobe, then I click on "Add Note from Annotations" nothing happens. And I do not have any error message.
    I realized that I need to first open the pdf in the built-in pdf reader, and then Zotero is able to add a note from the annotations.
    It makes the process longer, which is not very ideal...
    Let me know if that can be solved!
  • See the post right above yours.
  • Zotero 6.0.15 is out now with this fix.