Zotero and LibreOffice Plugin Freeze - Error Id 751903508

(partially copied from another thread where I originally described the problem)

I am using WIN7 Professional 64bit with Firefox 4.0.1 portable and LibreOffice 3.3.2
When trying to insert a citation, I can see the grey „citation“ field appearing in the document but the „insert citation dialogue box doesn't open. Instead Firefox freezes as well as LibreOffice. If I forcequit Firefox, then LibreOffice unfreezes and displays the following error:

„OpenOffice.org could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure Firefox or Zotero Standalone is open and set to an online state and try again.“

I click ok after which this error is displayed again. If I restart Firefox portable and LibreOffice, I can usually insert a couple of citations before this problem re-occurs.

If I forcequit LibreOffice instead, Firefox starts working again, including Zotero.
  • Can I do anything to help support or to get support? Do you need more information?
  • OK, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume I'm not getting any support for this. So what went wrong? What can I do on my end to get better support (besides donating)?
  • I doubt support depends on donations - I don't think devs would even know who has given money in the past. I think the problem is mostly that you're using a pretty unusual setting (64bit Windows 7 and portable FF) and afaik devs don't have that set up so they might just not be able to reproduce. You're also apparently the only person with that problem which also makes it harder to pin down.
    You could try providing an error ID
    http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs
    maybe that has something helpful. Also, make sure that you have no other FF add-ons installed. Do you have Zone Alarm by any chance?
  • Thank you for your reply and sorry, that's my bad. I had generated an error ID and put it in the title, but it seems it got cut off due to excessive length. Anyway, the error ID is 751903508.

I am not using Zone Alarm. Besides the two Zotero Addons, only the Firefox Spelling German Dictionary ("Deutsches Wörterbuch 2.02") is installed, but deactivated.
  • And this is with Zoter 2.1.7 and the 3.5b Ooo/LO plugin, correct?
  • It was with with Zotero 2.1.6 and the 3.5 Ooo/LO plugin (3.5a1), but I just replicated it using Zotero 2.1.7 (Error ID 1753622472).
  • OK - that should be all relevant info - Simon will have to take a look. He's usually more active later in the (US) day.
  • edited July 2, 2011
    Hi, while I never heard back, I'm happy to report that I no longer have the freeze problem using Zotero 2.18 and the Openoffice Plugin 3.5a2. Go Zotero!
This discussion has been closed.