Style with full info in citation, no bibliography or foot/endnote

I've been looking for (and failing to find) a citation style that places all the fields in the citation itself, not a footnote or endnote. I'm beginning to work with patents and the reports I'm generating require extensive discussion on each citation. I want to use Zotero to cite a patent reference in a way that I can use it as a title above a few paragraphs of discussion.
I've found a few promising ones (e.g. Wheaton College PhD) which appear to fit these criterea on the zotero website preview but, in the Word document, insert a reference (e.g. i, ii, iii) and place the full citation as a footnote.
Any suggestions?
  • It seems to me that this would be really distracting to the reader, but I suppose this can be done. I think you could change Chicago Full Note pretty easily to make it entirely in-line.
  • I wonder, though, if it wouldn't make more sense to just drag the references from FF in theiur bibliography form. It doesn't sound like you'd need a bibliography later on, so why use the plugin in the first place?
    But if you do want to change this ajlyon is right - it's one line change.
    See here for general instruction
    http://www.zotero.org/support/csl_simple_edits
    the specific change you want to make is in the first (or second) line of the style.
    Change class="note" to class="in-text"
  • Thank you, both of you, for that help. I'll give it a go.
    Adamsmith - could you explain what you mean by 'drag'? The number of references is small, especially compared to scientific writing, so I'd be happy to do it manually, too, if needs be.
  • click on the item in question in Zotero (not the word plugin) and, while keeping the mouse button pressed, drag the item to your word document. You can select the citation style used for that in the Export tab of the Zotero preferences.
    Alternatively you can also right-click on an item, create bibliography--> To clipboard
    and then just paste in Word
    http://www.zotero.org/support/creating_bibliographies
  • ajlyon, do you mean "Chicago Manual of Style (Full Note with Bibliography)"? That's the closest match I can find to what you're saying.
  • doesn't matter which style - you can use my directions above on any style - including "Chicago Manual of Style (Full Note with Bibliography)" (which, yes, I assume ajlyon refered to, yes) - but no style will work out of the box.
  • Ok, thanks - I'll give it a go.
  • edited January 18, 2013
    Any updates to one of the styles available to do this? I have another use for it, namely making syllabuses, where you want each item listed with a full citation at the point of insertion (rather than alphabetically listed at the end). To click and drag, or use the copy citation [ctrl+alt+C], means that there is no connection between the document and the database.

Also, I clicked on the link for simple edits, and it took me to a blank page.

Thanks!
  • the simple edits page has moved here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
    I'm not aware of any new citation styles that do this, no.
  • Thanks! Success. I used Chicago MOS Full Note, and used the beta CSL editor to change the class to in-text. A very minor adjustment, but the first time I've been able to edit a style.