Email import

There is a category for email but currently no extension to import email from Thunderbird. I am only assuming that it is possible? Headers from email contain a lot of valuable information that is left out on the web-based email lists.
  • Yes yes. Now that we're all deep into Zotero, we need to have email items.
    Am I missing an existing method?
  • Another vote for integration with Thunderbird. I hope to see this in Zotero some time soon!
  • Another 6 months gone.
    Any word/hope/prayer of getting Thunderbird integration?
  • This feature doesn't belong in Zotero. It might be appropriate for a separate utility though (probably something you install in TB to "send to Zotero").
  • Why do you think it doesn't belong in Zotero? I am on various scientific discussion lists, whose posts are an integral part of my research. I could say the same of some discussion with colleagues.

To my mind, this is definitely a needed feature of Zotero.

I'll add that I could imagine sociological or anthropological work that might base itself on any of a number of internet communication modalities.
  • edited December 8, 2008
    Why do you think it doesn't belong in Zotero?
    It's it obvious? If you surveyed Zotero users about their preferred email clients, I'd bet it'd be over ten. Many of those would be specific to a single platform (say, Apple Mail). It's not feasible for them to be trying to support such a wide range of applications; or, OTOH, supporting only one or two, and making a bunch of other users unhappy.

As I said, though, there's no reason it couldn't be a separate utility. E.g. I don't reject the idea that it'd be nice to be able to transfer email content to Zotero; just how people are proposing to do it.
  • The closed thread mentioned RSS feeds. This could be useful to add articles from topic alerts, etc.

Tangentially: the del.icio.us firefox extension used to also work in Thunderbird. If the Zotero server eventually has a public API, perhaps a Thunderbird extension would be fairly trivial.
  • Vote +1 for Thunderbird / mbox support
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/7581/support-thunderbird-aka-the-mbox-mail-format/

As said before: "probably something you install in TB to "send to Zotero""
    The local Message-ID should be sufficent to identify the local object.