I Have :
Mac os x 10.6
Firefox 3.6
Office 2008
Zotero 2.0rc5
PythonExt 2.6.2
Zotero MacWord Integration 3.0a8

When I "Add Citation" in Zotero menu of Word, There is an Error Window:
"Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure that Firefox is open and try again.

There the same thing if I try to open Firefox again.

THIS APPENDS ONLY on network login . With a locol login it works fine.

I saw that the problem is that there is an error because the file ~/.zoteroIntegrationPipe doesn't exist.
With a local login, this file is created when I run Firefox. It isn't created with a network login.

(the home has good rights to write)

In the log debug of zotero there is this line:
"could not initialize zotero integration pipe"

Could you help me ?
Thanks
  • FOUND the problem:

~/.zoteroIntegrationPipe is a pipe file which can't be created on files system like AFP
    (mkfifo doesn't operate)

I think that it isn't a good idea to put the communication system in the home directory because zotero can't work if there is a directory sytem like opendirectory.

It is a problem for firms
  • Hello guy's,

I had the same problems with network account

I was able to fix the problem by changing in zotero plugin's, chrome/content/zotero/xpcom/integration.js at line 38 :

this.init = function() {
    if(!Zotero.isWin) {
    // create a new file representing the pipe
    //_fifoFile = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/file/directory_service;1"].
    // getService(Components.interfaces.nsIProperties).
    // get("ProfD", Components.interfaces.nsIFile);
    //_fifoFile.append(".zoteroIntegrationPipe");

_fifoFile = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/file/local;1"]
    .createInstance(Components.interfaces.nsILocalFile);

_fifoFile.initWithPath("/tmp/.zoteroIntegrationPipe");

I put the .zoteroIntegrationPipe in /tmp (/tmp is not writeable for basic user, so I did chmod u+w /tmp before).

And in zotero mac word integration/install/install.applescript I fix the code where it link to .zoteroIntegrationPipe with fixing the path to /tmp/.zoteroIntegrationPipe

repeat with i from 1 to length of W2008_SCRIPT_NAMES
    do shell script "osacompile -d -e \"try\" -e \"do shell script \\\"ls /tmp/.zoteroIntegrationPipe && echo 'MacWord2008 " & (item i of W2008_SCRIPT_COMMANDS) & "' > /tmp/.zoteroIntegrationPipe\\\"\" -e \"on error\" -e \"display alert \\\"Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure that Firefox is open and try again.\\\" as critical\" -e \"end try\" -o " & posixPathToScripts & "'" & (item i of W2008_SCRIPT_NAMES) & "'"
    end repeat

So the /tmp in Mac plateform is not a good place to put this file, maybe /Users/Shared/.

Tell me if it works for you.

@+
    Edo...
  • Great !!

It works also for me.

Yes, /tmp isn't a good place because I have to do a chmod.
    Yes, /Users/Shared should be a better place for Mac Users

Now it should be interesting that this update is integrated in the next relaese

Thanks
  • edited March 1, 2010
    I'm having a similar issue with a remote home directory and the open office integration plugin under OSX 10.5.8. I can't seem to find the files you guys are modifying to get this to work...where are they?

edit: I've found the code now...but what does the "ProfD" variable refer to that you are replacing "Home" with?
  • so I've tried commenting out the code and making the changes you describe to the zotero plugin, but I can't get zotero to run after making the changes. Is there something special you have to do to recreate the .jar file other than just compressing it as a .zip and renaming it?

Also I can't find where to make the changes in the OpenOffice integration installation.... this really sucks :(
  • Is there something special you have to do to recreate the .jar file other than just compressing it as a .zip and renaming it?
    I don't think you should have to do anything else, but I couldn't get my .jar to rezip correctly (on a different platform, for a different reason), so I opened it using a ZIP browser (the built-in Ubuntu Linux one) and edited the file that way. I don't recall if OS X lets you browse a compressed ZIP, but Windows does. If you have a Windows machine handy, you could rename the .jar file to .zip, browse for the file, edit it, and save. Then just rename back to .jar and copy to the Mac.
  • Hi there,
    I´ve got the same configuration as jjtitan and the same problem. Usually the word plugin is working like a charm, except for someone working on a "flexible account". This is an account for people working in different offices and computers. We do have some 60 Macs running in our server system, so it seems to be the same problem.
    As our admin looks positive on zotero but does not have the time to debug I would much appreciate the result of this thread found its way into the next release.

Christoph
  • does anyone know where to change the path for the OpenOffice integration plugin? I can't find it :{
  • In the latest dev builds of Zotero and the Mac Word/OpenOffice plugins, Zotero tries to use a pipe in /Users/Shared first. Thanks for the feedback.

These changes will be in the next official releases, which should be this week.
  • awesome! it's working now, thanks!
  • I`ve tried the dev build and it works great. Thanks for the support to the team, jjtitan and Edo_X7
  • I have tried.
    It works
    Thanks
  • Hoope you don't mind asking this question here: I have yet to update to Firefox 3.6 because I know there are niggles with Zotero when a new version is launched often and for me, a reliable Zotero is far far more important than the newer browser. So have the major issues been ironed with respect to Firefox 3.6 and MACWORD 2008? I am running the lastest build of OSX 10.6.4.

Thanks