Zotero feature idea: table and figure in-text citation management

I love Zotero for reference management! I'm wondering if it might be possible to use much of the same architecture to help researchers manage table and figure in-text citations and numbering (Fig. S3).

It is especially annoying as a researcher to have to re-number each figure reference in a document if you change the order in which figures/supp figures are referenced. It seems as though having a way to have a second table/figs bibliography and citation set in the same document as normal references would resolve this issue. Users would enter the title of a figure/table in Zotero, and then "Add table/figure citation" in their document and select whether it is a table or figure, and whether it is supplemental or not. These would inform the system how to format (Fig.) vs (Fig. S) vs (Table) etc, and manage the numbering automatically even if the order in which they were referenced changed. The user could then add the table/fig bib to their document to get the final ordering of the figures and tables.
  • Why not use Word or LibreIffice's own features for that?
  • Our team primarily uses Google Docs and the Zotero Plugin for best team collaboration related to academic work; I'm unaware of any GDoc features that would replicate this behavior--do you know of any? Thanks for the thoughts!
  • Yeah, Google Doc's figure & table management is non-existent: there aren't any captions that move with figures, let alone updating ones. That's really mission creep for Zotero to get involved in, though; I don't see that happening. If you want better figure management in an online WYSWYG, use Word online ;)