Word Crashes When Trying to Switch Footnotes to Endnotes

Hi. I'm writing a paper for class using Zotero to generate footnotes, and the final format has to be endnotes, but I typically switch the format at the end so I don't have to keep scrolling from beginning to end while I write. However, I tried to switch my footnotes to endnotes using the typical process, and Word crashes every single time. Some of my notes have prefixes or suffixes, but that is the only thing I can see that might be causing an issue. I'd like to try to keep them so I don't have to put them all back in later, but I'm really quite confused and frustrated, so any help would be extremely appreciated. Thank you.
  • By "crash" you mean it closes completely, or do you mean it freezes?

What exact Word version? And can you provide a Report ID?
  • Word closes completely.

Word version: for Mac, Version 16.84 (24041420)

I can't generate a Report ID from Zotero as it just appears blank — thank you for sending the guide, but I suppose since I'm working on a Mac, it might not be possible.

• Restart Zotero, go into Word and take the sequence of actions that cause Word to crash, then submit a Report ID from Zotero. Submit it even if the dialog listing errors is blank.
  • I can't repeat the actions now because the document preferences box has gone blank too.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u6095229/qd3l5rb4byzk9anevpye.png
  • Can you reproduce that after restarting your computer?

If so, are you using Dark Mode on your computer? Have you previously run any sort of third-party utility that affects Dark Mode?

Try closing Zotero, opening Terminal (via Spotlight), pasting in (not typing) this command, and pressing Return:

defaults delete -g NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance
  • I managed to get a report ID for the original issue after restarting Zotero: 471999877
  • Unless you can reproduce this in a new document you will have to follow theTroubleshooting Errors in Word Processor Documents steps. This isn't a Zotero bug, but rather something broken in Word, but without isolating what causes it, it won't be possible to work around it or notify Microsoft of the issue so that they can address it.
  • Okay, thank you!