Sync each 15 seconds

I have used the "Sync automatically" option and I love it. However, since one or two months ago, Zotero started to automatically sync each 15 seconds, either I make some changes to the library or not. This is really annoying because, for instance, when I'm writing a note I lose some sentences after each automatic sync. I understand that when Zotero is set to sync automatically, changes will be synced as soon as they are made, but in my case the sync is made while I'm making a change.

Obviously, the problem disappear if I turn off the "Sync automatically" option, but I would like to keep this option.

Why my Zotero is synchronizing each 15 seconds, even if no change is made to my library? Can I set Zotero to automatically sync after the changes are made?

Thanks for this amazing tool.
  • Are you sure this is happening even when you're not making changes? Or does it only happen when you're typing notes? Zotero auto-saves after you stop typing for a second, so background syncing while typing notes is normal.

However, in the latter case, it still definitely shouldn't lose anything you've typed. Someone else has reported that it does, though we haven't been able to reproduce it.

Either way, if you send debug output for a couple of the syncs to support@zot....org, with a link to this thread, we'll take a look.
  • Hi Dan,

Yes, I'm sure it's happening even when I'm not making changes to the library. Each 15 seconds I can see the sync icon spinning and the progress bar signifying a sync.

I saw the other post that you indicated me and yes, I have the same problem when I'm writing a note (or when I'm editing the bibliographic information in the third column of Zotero, i.e., authors, abstract, etc.). After the automatic sync my typing (or part of it) is lost. Even if I'm attaching a file in Zotero, if the sync starts, the attachment can be lost.

Regarding your request of sending you a debug output, I only have a question: I don't have any error message. Should I send you anyway a debug output? Please tell me.

Thanks,

Mauricio.
  • Regarding your request of sending you a debug output, I only have a question: I don't have any error message. Should I send you anyway a debug output?
    Yes, please.
  • OK, I sent the debug output. I hope it's useful for you guys.

Thanks Dan!
  • Does this stop if you disable file syncing?
  • Yes, if I disable file syncing Zotero works properly.

I tried disabling file syncing and turning on 'Sync automatically'. With this setting, my Zotero doesn't sync each 15 seconds but only after I make changes to the library.

Mauricio.
  • OK, we've reproduced this, and we'll have a fix out soon. In the meantime, disabling auto-sync or disabling file syncing will stop it.
  • Brilliant! Thanks Dan

Mauricio.
  • This should be fixed in the latest dev build. We'll release 2.0b6.5 with this fix after some additional testing.
  • Fixed now in 2.0b6.5.
  • I am having the same problem running the beta of Zotero 5.
  • @dmiller: This is an ancient thread (from 2009). Start a new thread, provide a Report ID, and explain the problem you're facing.
  • @dmiller It's almost certainly a different problem than the original poster. Please start a new thread and describe exactly what is happening in detail. Also provide an error report ID: https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems

Additionally, provide a Debug ID (different from above) for a sync that takes a long time: https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output