zotero doesn't work with all citation styles in MS word 2007

HELP! I have german versions of Vista and word 2007. I installed Zotero and later the MS word plugin 1.0b3 (with the installer and manually). So I got a new drop-down menu, called "add-ins", with the plug-in icons. So far so good, but now, I can't cite anything with the citation styles of "national library of medicine" or "nature Journal", I can only insert the numbers! On top, the styles that do work, are citing with the german translation of "et al." (not very convenient, if you have to write an article for an international scientific journal....) Could anyone help me? Is it a language problem? Do I have to change to the English version of Firefox???
  • yes, the fact that Zt. translates these suffixes and prefixes (it does the same for p. and pp. which becomes S. in German) is pretty annoying (and non-sensical - if I want nature style I want nature style and not some German version of it) - there must be a simple way to turn this off?

As for the word plugin - only thing I can say is that the installer only works for English language Word, but manual installation should work.
  • CSL is designed to be fully localizable—it's a feature, not a bug. Styles can hard-code strings, and some do, but that's generally needlessly limiting. If you want English bibliographies in a non-English version of Firefox, set the extensions.zotero.export.bibliographyLocale hidden pref to en-US in about:config. This will be exposed in the UI at some point.
  • Thank you, I will try that. But I still got the (bigger) problem of some citation styles not working and I really need the style of the national library of medicine!
    Any ideas about this one?
  • ah, perfect - that was exactly the "simple way to turn it off" that I was looking for -
    I still think the default should be the other way around, but as long as it takes 20sec. to change I don't care much either way.

@streller: when you say "only can insert the number" - does that mean you don't get a bibliography? Or that you can't put a prefix or suffix? Or that you can't select a publication to be cited?
    My understanding of both nature and NIM publication style is that the in text citations are just numbers, no? I think NIM is more flexible and _allows_ author-date but that doesn't seem to be their standard. But if you want NIM with author date you can edit the csl style quite easily.
  • If I click on "insert citation", I get first this window with the citation style, the choice between footnote and endnote and the choice between box and bookmark. If I choose NLM or Nature journal (and several other) styles I can't choose between footnote and endnote anymore. then I click OK anyway and the window with my library appears. I choose the article, click ok and all that appears on my document is "(1)", no Journal, no authors....Maybe this is normal, but at where then does it appear? And for NLM,ok, but for Nature Journal Style???? and how do I edit the CSL style? (Sorry, I'm really a beginner here...)
  • edited January 10, 2009
    The style used in my community puts everything in footnotes, so I haven't used this type of style in Zotero yet, but in my word processor there is a button next to the zotero citation icon that says "insert bibliography" when I roll the mouse cursor over it. It's just a guess on my part, but moving to the end of your document and clicking on that icon may produce some joy.
  • @streller: yes, fbennett is right - what you see is not a bug but everything working as it should. In NIM and Nature the in text citations are indeed just numbers. The articles are then cited with the corresponding numbers in the bibliography , for that click the insert bibliography button. So you don't need to edit the csl.

It's also correct that you can't pick footnotes or endnotes, as both styles don't use footnotes.
  • Indeed, the bibliography icon produced a lot of joy...... Finally the road is open to become a pro.... Thanks a lot!