Generate Reports: sort behaviour

In a given subcollection, I have been making standalone notes with titles such as [001], [002], etc. The idea is that I can highlight everything in the subcollection, right-click, and click on "Generate Report from Selected Items", and these standalone notes will appear at the top, sorted in order by name. Then I can distribute this report to my collaborators.

I've tried appending "?sort=note" to the end. If I do that, I get a list of journal articles in no apparent order, followed by all of my notes, which are correctly sorted in ASCIIbetical order.

Appending "?sort=note/d" to the end gives me my standalone notes first -- which I want! -- but they are sorted in the reverse order. Additionally, my journal articles are still out of order, and it's neither the same order that they were listed in before, nor the reverse of that order!

"?sort=title" puts the standalone notes first -- which I want! -- but they are completely unsorted and out of order. The journal articles are sorted alphabetically, which is nice, but I need the standalone notes to be properly sorted.

This is so close to the solution I want, that it seems I'd benefit from being able to sort multiple columns. Say, something like "?sort=title,note" would first sort by title, and then do a stable sort by note, or something.

Anyway, I think the "?sort=" option needs better documentation -- and if it already has it, I'd like to be pointed in that direction!

Thanks,
Chip
  • edited May 16, 2008
    Do you have "extensions.zotero.report.combineChildItems" set to "true" or "false"? Changing the setting may help to get the result you want, although I'm not sure what result you want exactly.

I did notice one other error: When I try to generate report with only a parent item selected, with "extensions.zotero.report.combineChildItems" set to false, I get the item plus all child notes. I believe I should only get the parent item in the report.
  • I did notice one other error: When I try to generate report with only a parent item selected, with "extensions.zotero.report.combineChildItems" set to false, I get the item plus all child notes. I believe I should only get the parent item in the report
    That's controlled by extensions.zotero.report.includeAllChildItems, which defaults to true. When includeAllChildItems is true, selecting only parent items will cause all their children to be included. Selecting a combination of parents and children will cause only the selected items to be included.
  • edited May 16, 2008
    That's controlled by extensions.zotero.report.includeAllChildItems, which defaults to true. When includeAllChildItems is true, selecting only parent items will cause all their children to be included. Selecting a combination of parents and children will cause only the selected items to be included.
    Ok, I set includeAllChildItems and combineChildItems to false, and now I don't get anything at all when I select the parent item.
  • Ok, I set includeAllChildItems and combineChildItems to false, and now I don't get anything at all when I select the parent item.
    OK, that's a bug. Also, I just noticed that if combineChildItems is false and includeAllChildItems is true and you select an item with no children, it doesn't show up.

We didn't get to the sort issues mentioned by chogg for 1.0.4, but there's a ticket.
  • Thank you Dan.

And this discussion is very helpful in letting me know what's available as far as options to set.
  • Report sorting should now be much improved in the latest dev build, with all the problems mentioned on this thread fixed. In particular, ?sort=note is no longer required for alphabetic sorting of notes and attachments. This needs some testing, so please let me know if you notice any problems.