Library not loading on startup

That's it. First time ever, when I started up Zotero this morning, it did not load the database. Clicking on "show data directory" on the advanced tab of preferences indicates that it is pointed at the right location. The data file and the backup are there.

Help appreciated.
  • edited March 12, 2012
    it did not load the database
    You'll need to be more specific than that and also provide a Report ID
  • edited March 12, 2012
    Thanks, Dan.

I don't know how to be more specific. Normally zotero starts, then loads the library, i.e., all my entries in the database. This morning it did not.

I quit and tried again. I gather from reading the troubleshooting advice on the site that that may have been a mistake, i.e., in overwriting whatever errors may have been recorded on the initial startup. Currently none are reported.

The report ID is: 186666091
  • You have to tell us what "it did not load the database" means. Remember, we can't see your screen, and there are all sorts of possible interpretations of that statement.
  • When zotero starts it looks like it is newly installed. The only items under My Library are the Zotero Quick Start Guide, Duplicate Items, Unfiled Items, and Trash. It should display approximately 100 of my own entries.

The Data Directory contains the zotero.sqlite file. It is 967 KB. I wonder if that is the right size for a database with that many entries. I am on a Mac with a Time Machine. I have backups if they are needed.

I honestly do not know how to be more specific than that. If it would help, I could send a screenshot.

Thanks,

Eric Weir
  • I've solved the problem. I rechecked Troubleshooting on the site on Data Issues. It described my problem as "users...find[ing] their libraries almost completely blank" and said that in almost every case the reason was that Zotero is looking for the wrong place for the data.

I rechecked my data directory. Just by coincidence I noticed that there was a second data directory and that the zotero.sqllite file in it was 19 MB. When I navigated zotero to that directory my library loaded.

As I said in my previous post, zotero was looking like it had been newly installed. Apparently, for some reason, it had been and the duplicate directory was created in the process. Also strange is that it put the directory in the custom location I had established previously, not the default location.

Perhaps you have some idea what may have happened. What matters to me is that my library is now loading.

Thanks,

Eric Weir