Book Section - No "chapter" field available

When I use item type "Book Section" I have a field for "Pages", but no field for "Chapter" and no drop-down arrow to select chapter instead of pages as per author, editor, etc.
  • could you provide an example of a citation that requires the chapter number? I have never seen that.
    You can, btw., cite chapter numbers in the word plugin - so if you want to refer to a chapter of a monograph, use the dropdown menu in the plugin, to get, e.g.
    (Smith 1776, Ch. 3)
  • The problem is that in the "Info" section for the "book section" in the Firefox plugin, I don't have a "chapter" option.

For example, if I want to include the chapter # in the bibliography:

K.W. Feindel, in 'Polymer Electrolyte Membrane and Direct Methanol Fuel Cell Technology: In Situ Characterisation Techniques for Low Temperature Fuel Cells', eds. C. Hartnig and C. Roth, Woodhead, Oxford, 2012, Vol. 2, Chap. 10.

In the above case I fudged the output by changing the page # to "10" and using the below code:
    <label variable="chapter" form="short" text-case="capitalize-first" suffix="." strip-periods="true"/>
    <text variable="page"/>

If I use text variable="chapter" the chapter is left out because there is no corresponding value for the text variable.
  • OK, I see. That's not possible at this point.
    Which citation style actually requires the chapter number there? I've not seen this - I take it it's something from the UK? Is there a styleguide online?
  • I don't think there is an online style guide. This citation style is required by Wiley for the Encyclopedia of Magnetic Resonance. I've pasted an excerpt from their contributor instructions:

21.4 Citation of the Reference in the Text

References should be designated by superior numbers after any punctuation, not enclosed in parentheses.

21.5 Presentation of Journal References in the List

Please follow the style given below which differs from that given in the ACS Style Guide.

21.5.1 Use of et al. in list

Please note that for all references/further reading entries, for books as well as journals, you should include all of the author names per reference. If the referenced article or book has 6 or more authors it may be truncated by the Section Editor or Wiley to give the names of the first 8 followed by et al.

21.5.2 Standard journal reference

1. D. M. Doddrell, D. T. Pegg, and M. R. Bendall, J. Magn. Reson., 1982, 48, 323.

21.5.3 Online journal reference

2. J. A. Boyd, and A. M. Vanborough, J. Appl. Chem., 2002, 46 [Online], 469. DOI: 10.1002./jac.123

21.6 Presentation of Book References in the List

21.6.1 Authored book reference

3. G. C. Levy, R. L. Lichter, and G. C. Nelson, 'Carbon-13 NMR Spectroscopy', 2nd edn., Wiley, Chichester, 1980, p. 112.

21.6.2 Edited book reference

4. M. Barany and T. Glonek, in 'Phosphorus-31 NMR Principles and Applications', ed. D. G. Gorenstein, Academic Press, Orlando, 1984, Vol. 2, Chap. 3.

21.7 References to Reports/Documents on the Internet

J. A. Smith, A.-M., and F. H. B. Melrose, 2004, Framework for the Future. http://www.scienceandtechnolgy.gov.uk/publications/strategyunit/

21.8 References to Websites

John Wiley & Sons (Date accessed, October 21, 2007) The UK homepage of the publisher John Wiley & Sons, Ltd; http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/index.html