A Second Word application opens when using Zotero

I use microsoft word on my mac and have the gizmo attached for getting citations. However, when I make a footnote, click on the gizmo, then select the item and go to attach it... the problem is it opens up Word all over again (having two open!). How can I make it stop doing this and be happy with the first one?
Note: I also have Endnote open.
Appreciate your feedback...
  • Do you have two copies of Word installed? Otherwise, you shouldn't be able to have two instances open simultaneously. If you delete the second copy (assuming it is in fact redundant), it should fix this problem.
  • Thanks Simon, however, I only have one Word in Application folder (and a shortcut on the dock).
  • When you say that Word opens up all over again, do you mean a second icon in the dock? If so, if you control-click the dock icons and select Show in Finder, are different applications highlighted?
  • It's the same one. If I open from the dock it has zotero and Endnote open for me, if I try to use zotero, it open's another Word (without Zotero) and so I have to switch back and forth.
  • *Yes I di check the Show in Finder, thanks Dan.