Moving citations in Word

When I use cite while you write, I've noticed that when I move a citation to some other part in the document (cut n paste), the greyed frame does not appear anymore, so the item will not appear in the bibliography and the citation cannot be edited.

How can I move citations when editing a document?
  • cut&paste should work - I can't test on word, but it dos in Ooo. Copy and paste doesn't work, because each citation gets it's unique identifier (I believe to be able to deal with things like subsequent citations etc.).
  • @albertoribas - I do not have any issues with cut&paste or copy&paste in MS Word 2003 or 2007. Before you copy, do you select the whole greyed field end-to-end?

When you paste, the default format (HTML or RTF) should be fine, however, the Paste special... as Unformatted text will not work.
  • Copying and moving citations is fine on my computer (Win7 64bit, Office 2007). However it DOES NOT work between two documents which is really annoying. If i want to combine two documents, i need to re-enter all the citations from one doc.

Would be helpful if someone could solve this problem.

Thanks
  • there is no reason this shouldn't work - what exactly happens?
    Have you tried this with two fresh documents?
  • Yes, i tried with two fresh documents as well. When i want to edit, refresh, insert bibliography it says "you must insert a citation before performing this operation". I've been using zotero for years and i could never use copy and paste between documents. I thought it wasn't possible at all...!
  • Just to be sure that the association between this thread and its companion containing the solution doesn't get lost in the shuffle, here is a link to the related thread.
  • Sorry I don't know how to add another discussion.
    I use microsoft word on my mac and have the gizmo attached for getting citations. However, when I make a footnote, click on the gizmo, then select the item and go to attach it... the problem is it opens up Word all over again (having two open!). How can I make it stop doing this and be happy with the first one?
  • Try clicking on the big red button above and to the left that says:
    Start a new discussion.