Flock compatible?

Has anyone used Zotero with the Firefox-based Flock browser? I'm using v.0.7.8 and don't want to install Zotero unless I know it's compatible.
  • edited December 19, 2006
    As far as I know, the current version of Flock is based on Firefox 1.5, so Zotero, which requires Firefox 2.0, will not work. Once Flock is updated to the 2.0 codebase, Zotero might work.
  • edited June 16, 2007
    Hi, I'm Erwan, from Flock. I've tested Zotero on the currently developer release based on Firefox 2.0 ( http://tinderbox.flock.com/builds/trunk_sulfur/ ) and it works great.

However, it would be even better if Zotero was announcing itself as compatible with Flock in the install.rdf. That would be done with something like that:

<!-- Flock -->
    <em:targetApplication>
    <Description>
    <em:id>{a463f10c-3994-11da-9945-000d60ca027b}</em:id>
    <em:minVersion>0.8</em:minVersion>
    <em:maxVersion>0.8.99</em:maxVersion>
    </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>

Then Zotero would be ready for the next stable release of Flock!
    See: http://developer.flock.com/Firefox_to_Flock

erwan at (my company domain)
  • Added to install.rdf on the dev branch. Thanks.
  • Thanks for the advice, Erwan. We've had a lot of people ask about compatibility with Flock. We would be happy to promote this compatibility when Flock 0.8 comes out, and it would be great for Zotero to be featured on the Flock extensions site as well.
  • I have installed Flock Dev 0.8.0 and Zotero, but when I look at the Add-ons section of Flock, Zotero is displayed as "Not compatible with Sulfur 0.8.0".

Does anyone know how to make this work as Erwan has?
  • The install manifest change was made since the last public release of Zotero. You can either use the Nightly Tester Tools to force compatibility or wait for the next official release, which should be out very soon. You can also add the above lines to Zotero's install.rdf manually, but there's not much reason to do that.
  • I didn't realize this had been discussed and just now logged on to see, if it had been.

I'm using Flock 0.9.0.2 and just simply tried installing Zotero and discovered it works great!
  • I've just upgraded from Flock 0.9.0.2 to 0.9.1 & it's saying that it's not compatible, as it says it's only compatible to 0.9.0.x ...

I had a look at the instructions for altering the install.rdf but I wasn't quite sure what to do, as though I've found a folder called "Stagedxpis" in my extensions & that's got a folder called Zotero, it's only got an xpi (which doesn't make much sense in Wordpad), so I can't work out where to add those lines.
  • The xpi is a zip file. If you unzip it, you will be able to edit install.rdf & rezip it.

There may also be extensions to let you bypass the version check (nightly tester tools, etc.)

I imagine that the Zotero devs will update the Flock max version for the next release.