Whats's the difference between container-title and volume-title?

https://docs.citationstyles.org/en/v1.0.2/specification.html#standard-variables

container-title
Title of the container holding the item (e.g. the book title for a book chapter, the journal title for a journal article; the album title for a recording; the session title for multi-part presentation at a conference)

volume-title
Title of the volume of the item or container holding the item;
Also use for titles of periodical special issues, special sections, and the like

But what's the difference?

I think a possible explanation could be here:

issue
"Issue number of the item or container holding the item (e.g. “5” when citing a journal article from journal volume 2, issue 5); Use volume-title for the title of the issue, if any"

But the sentence isn't completed!?
  • no, the sentence is complete. "Use volume-title for the title of the issue, if [there is] any."

That would for example, be for a titled special issue of a journal. volume-title is also used, as per the description, for individual volumes in a multi-volume work. While it's rare, these works can also have container titles -- so the title of the chapter would be title, the title of the individual volume it's in would be volume title, and the entire work's title would container-title, but even if not, titles of volumes would be cited differently.
  • "and the entire work's title would container-title"

According to my understanding this would be the collection-title, isn't it?
  • No, collection-title is for a series or similar collection, which is different from a multi-volume work. Most immediately relevant, in standard styles the title of the (multi-volume) work would be in italics, the series title would not be. Series are not cited all that frequently, but they are.
    (In rare cases, a multi-volume work can also be part of a series; we may even have an example of that somewhere).
  • For example:

title: Test validity
    container-title: APA handbook of testing and assessment in psychology
    volume: 1
    volume-title: Test theory and testing and assessment in industrial and organizational psychology
    collection-title: APA handbooks of psychology

https://www.apa.org/pubs/books/4311510?tab=2
  • Ah ok, it took me long to understand it but I think now I got it. And thanks for the example bwiernik. I think the difficulty for me was that (at least in germany) the term "volume" is often also used for single-volume works if they are a part of a container. Accordingly the collection-number (Reihennummer) is often also called volume-number (Bandnummer). And the term "series" (Reihe) is also used for these containers which contain various single-volume works.