Buttons dont work anymore (LibreOffice)

Hello,

last week i installed LibreOffice (v24.8) and Zotero (v7.0.7) and it worked properly.
Today i wanted to continue working on my file, but most of the zotero buttons in LibreOffice Writer dont seem to work anymore (the only reaction i get is the button "unlink citations").

I tried a few troubleshooting options, like restarting everything, updating (i dont think there were new versions since last week), checking if some files are in the right folders, if Java extension is still active. All seems to check out so far, and it was running smoothly last week.

I havent reinstalled Zotero or LibreOffice yet. Should i try that? (I'm a bit fearfull to lose my zotero citations on a reinstall. I started syncing now, when i created this account, but i dont know how well that would work, haha)

Any other ideas?

Thank you in advance,
renewasoiaf
  • If the buttons do not do anything after restarting Zotero and Libreoffice, you should reinstall Java (or install a different version) and select it in LibreOffice.

Reinstalling LibreOffice or Zotero won't affect your data, but is unlikely to help either.
  • Hello adomasven,

thank you for your reply. I checked before writing this thread, if the Java JRE is still seen in LibreOffice. It was still there, like i installed it before.

I now deleted Java and reinstalled it. It's still seen in LibreOffice>Tools>Advanced, but the problem, that most of the Zotero buttons don't work is still there.

When i click "add/edit", Zotero should open a "tab", but it doesn't do that anymore.

Kind regards,
    renewasoiaf
  • For easy access i added attachments to my Zotero cites, the locally saved files.

After connecting to this site to write this, and also creating an account and started syncing, i noticed that my free quota here is already maxed out.

Could this have affected Zotero to work properly anymore? I just unsynced to not get the warnings anymore, but could the whole running out of space thing have crashed the Zotero functionality?

I deleted one big attachment from the list, so i should be under the synching limit again. But this didn't help.
  • If you attempt to reinstall the Zotero LibreOffice plugin from Zotero Settings -> Cite, does it work?

Reaching sync quota has no effect on the plugin.
  • reinstalling the Zotero LibreOffice plugin from Zotero Settings -> Cite has worked indeed!

Thank you very much!
  • I got the same problem today. While the solution to the top worked fine again, is there a way to prevent this reinstalling of the plugin, which i assume, that i have to do from now on, on a regular basis?
  • Next time you have this issue provide a Debug ID for a click on a LibreOffice plugin button that does nothing.
  • The problem seems to be there on every restart, i think.

I don't get an error box, so i don't have a debug ID right away for you.

I tried following this guide to get a debug ID:

* Ensure that the LibreOffice plugin is properly installed and configured.
    * Reproduce the issue by clicking the plugin button in LibreOffice.
    * Immediately after clicking the button, go to Help > About LibreOffice.
    * In the About LibreOffice dialog box, click the Debugging or Error Reporting button (the exact label may vary depending on your LibreOffice version).
    * A dialog box will appear with a Debug ID field. This field will contain a unique identifier, which is the Debug ID you’re looking for.

But i couldn't find a debugging button there.

All i could copy was this info, which is just the libreoffice version, i think.

Version: 24.8.1.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
    Build ID: 87fa9aec1a63e70835390b81c40bb8993f1d4ff6
    CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 11 X86_64 (10.0 build 22631); UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
    Locale: en-US (en_DE); UI: en-GB
    Calc: threaded

Any idea, where i can get a debug ID?
  • Thank you, this is what i got:

D389908121
  • Did you submit this Debug ID after pressing a button in LibreOffice (and it not responding)? If so, generally this indicates some issue with the Java installation. You should try installing a different version of Java, selecting it in LibreOffice and seeing if that makes it better.
  • I installed another Java version. So far, so good, i hope. Thank you very much.