Zotero 7.0: Keyboard can't access Locate item functionality

I'm running Zotero 7.0 on Windows 10 and have found an accessibility issue.

User scenario (fictitious to illustrate the issue).
"I use a screen reader so rely on the keyboard to access all the Zotero functionality.
I have Zotero open to a collection of 100 journal articles. The focus is on a journal article in a collection's item list. I would like to activate the 'Locate item' functionality so my browser will open a window that shows how I can get it through my library.

In Zotero 6, I was able to do that. I would press F6 to move the focus to the toolbar's new collection button and then I would press tab until I got to the Locate button menu. I'd open the button menu and press the down key to get to the Library Lookup option.

However, in Zotero 7, I can't do do that task. The Locate button menu has moved to an different part of the interface. And there's no key commands to move the focus to that region. I've tried pressing tab, up/down/left/right, F6, and looked for shortcut keys in the Edit Menu, then Advanced. But I can't find anyway of getting there."

For sighted users, the locate button in Zotero 7.0 is on the far right with an icon that has a circle with an arrow in it.

Technical reference:
WCAG 2.0 success criteria 2.1.1
https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/keyboard
  • edited August 12, 2024
    We're working on this.

(We greatly appreciate reports like these, but you really don't need to write this much, cite the WCAG entry, etc. Obviously this function should be accessible via the keyboard, and we could've told you we were working on it from your thread title.)
  • Thanks for the feedback. There are a few audiences I'm mindful of: Zotero developers, screen reader users, and other parties attentive to issues of the accessibility of academic software.
  • Following this thread for any updates. I'm a screen reader user and the "locate item" function is critical to my workflow.
  • I second @AshleyEveShaw's comment. The locate in library item makes life so much easier, because I don't have to search for the download button on each publisher's website. I have seen articles where I wasn't able to locate a download button and where the locate in library feature would just download the PDF for me. So this feature is not just nice to have,, but it can increase accessibility.