Zotero beta: check for updates not working for me

This discussion was created from comments split from: Now available: Zotero 7.
  • @rbpasker -- pretty sure that's the most recent beta. Beta builds aren't created for every github commit.
  • “If you're running Zotero 6, you can update now by going to Help → "Check for Updates…".

@adamsmith so it only updates if you’re on 6, but not if you’re on an older version of 7? that’s pretty stupid.
  • No. As the message (and my post) says, you're already on the most recent version. Updates are generally automatic. The Z6 to Z7 upgrade is an exception and requires manual checking so that folks aren't automatically updated in the middle of a major project
  • edited September 21, 2024
    ok, so in your mind the world is supposed to understand github SHAs, and check the repo to know that "7.0.6-beta.2+b4239fd4c" is the same as "7.0.6". i bet you're fun at parties.
  • What you're supposed to do is
    a) display common courtesy here rather than gratuitously insult people
    b) know that you installed and are running beta Software and
    c) believe the plain language message telling you that you're using the latest version of the software,. which you are
  • maybe youve never heard of it, but there's something in software design called the "principle of least astonishment". look it up
  • Like almost every other piece of software in existence, Zotero has separate release channels, and the beta channel doesn't automatically update to the production channel. You installed the beta version, and you will remain on the beta version unless you install the production version. I would think someone trotting out "github SHAs" and "principle of least astonishment" would be able to understand this, but in any case, we're done here. Please don't post here like this again.

https://www.zotero.org/support/forum_guidelines#etiquette
This discussion has been closed.