Zotero 7: Suggestion: Bring back toggling context/color menu options via keyboard

edited September 11, 2024
In Zotero 6, I often used keyboard keys to navigate menus quickly. For example, you could change an annotation color in the color menu or navigate to a specific command in an item's context menu in the library (and execute via enter).

With the (otherwise amazing!) Zotero 7, that doesn't work anymore:
- The annotation color menu cannot be toggled at all.
- The item context menu can be toggled only partly and buggy. For instance:

1. Pressing O navigates to 'Open PDF in New Tab', but pressing O again doesn't navigate to 'Open PDF in New Window'.
2. Conversely, pressing A navigates to 'Add Note' and pressing A again navigates to 'Add Attachment', but neither 'Add Note from Annotations' nor 'Add to Collection' will be selected.

Bringing the keyboard toggling back would be much appreciated!

Zotero 7.0.4-beta on an MacBook Pro M1 with macOS 13.5.2
  • We'll fix the annotation color menu.

The item context menu is a native menu and behaves the same way as other Mac menus: to navigate to something, you type it. If you want to select "Add Note from Annotations", type "add n". The Zotero 6 behavior wasn't correct (or at least didn't match current Mac behavior).
  • Thanks for looking into that, dstillman.

To clarify, the "add n" command for "Add Note from Annotations" does not work for me, either. However, I figured the same issue occurs in any menu outside of Zotero as well, so it seems to be a mac issue.

Bummer, because the well working menu toggling in Zotero 6 was great.
  • edited 6 days ago
    Keyboard access to the annotation color menu is fixed now in Zotero 7.0.8.

Re: typing in macOS menus, you should start by updating to a current version of macOS. 13.5.2 isn't the latest version of Ventura, let alone macOS. If you right-click on a file in Finder, for example, you should see that "cop" selects "Copy" and "com" selected "Compress […]".
  • Much appreciated, thanks for the update.