Overview of copying citations out of Zotero

The documentation seems to concentrate on how to set up Zotero and create citations within it. Also a bit on how to use it with certain software, such as Microsoft Word. But there doesn't seem to be a general overview of how I can move a copy of a citation out of Zotero. What kind of files can I move it into, and what kind can I not? And how does the chosen citation style affect how the item in the copied-to file looks?
  • The section under "Right-Click to Create Citation/Bibliography" seems to work. But the section "Quick Copy" only seems to work with citation-enabled software like Wikipedia or Word. It doesn't seem to work with plain text like Microsoft Notepad. Which makes the directions confusing.
  • I'm not sure why you think that?
    Simply select items in the center column and drag them into any text field.
  • edited 18 days ago
    I'm using 7.0.2 (64 bit) for Windows. I highlight an entry in the center column, then hold the left mouse ear to drag it into Notepad. Nothing appears in Notepad.
  • What do you have selected in the Quick Copy settings?
    Notepad specifically appears to refuse quick copy if you have "copy as HTML" checked (which you wouldn't want anyway -- in a note editor that'd come out as code).
  • edited 16 days ago
    I had it the item format set as Wikipedia Citation Templates and note format as Markdown + Rich Text. The two check marks for include Zotero Links were left unchecked.

I don't see the words "copy as HTML" accompanied by a check box anywhere.
  • The "copy as HTML" box is greyed out for exports -- it only makes sense for citations.

The Wikipedia Citation Template drags to Notepad just fine for me. Are you still seeing this?
  • Because "Copy as HTML" is not available for "Wikipedia Citation Templates". (Or any other export format). It is only for citations styles.
  • I still have the problem. My installation is slightly different than most people; whenever I install new software I install it with an administrator account but use it with a standard user account. In case it was a permission problem, I tried the drag & drop with the administrator account, and it didn't work with that account either.
  • Could you do some further testing? Do any other formats work for drag&drop to Notepad? Citations formats, other export formats? And is this the new-ish multi-tabbed Notepad (I think introduced in W11?) or the old one?
  • edited 16 days ago
    When, in Notepad, I click Help -> About Notepad I see

Microsoft Windows
    Version 22H2 (OS Build 1905, 4780)

Just as I started Notepad to write this post, Zotero updated itself to 7.0.3 (64-bit).

It still doesn't work. I repeated the attempt with Wikipedia Citation Templates. Then, under the Citation Styles heading, I tried Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (full note), Chicago Manual of Style (note), and IEEE. Then, under the Export Formats heading, I tried CSV. None of them worked.
  • Can you test in any other text editor? VS Code, Notepad++, RStudio, whatever you are using? If this is limited to Notepad (and I think you are on the old version of that), it might just not be worth troubleshooting
  • I tried with GNU Emacs for Windows 29.1 with the Wikipedia Citation Templates and it didn't work.