Zotero 7 beta and accessibility

I understand that Zotero 7 should be more accessible for users with disabilities. Are the expected accessibility improvements and features available somewhere?
  • I don't think they are detailed anywhere (for now, there isn't any change log at all, but I doubt changes at this level of detail will be listed even on stable release.)

The main improvements are Screenreader behavior (appropriately labelled buttons) and keyboard accessibility of functionality. I've done some very light testing and it does look improved, though not perfect yet. The one major feature I haven't been able to make work with keyboard is PDF annotations. I might also be missing something there, though.

As I understand, issue reports are welcome
  • Is a VPAT being prepared for Zotero 7? A document that lists WCAG areas covered or known gaps is helpful.
  • Is a VPAT being prepared for Zotero 7?
    Yes.
  • Any updates on that?

My university got an institutional account for Zotero Storage about a year ago. It was approved on the strength of a promise that Zotero was working on a VPAT. The contract is coming up for renewal very soon. In the continued absence of a VPAT, I strongly suspect that our Title IX office will deny the renewal, leaving the faculty and students who took advantage of the extra space high and dry.

I am eager to avoid that. Zotero is a wonderful product. I have used it myself for many years, and the library I work at recommends it to all of our patrons. But we have to abide by the requirements of the institution. All I can do is ask, please, for a VPAT. It doesn't need to be perfect. We understand that accessibility is difficult, and even the best software has some flaws. We can work with that as long as the flaws are documented so we can provide appropriate assistance to anyone needing it.
  • Yes, we've been working with an outside firm to evaluate accessibility issues across the software in preparation for releasing a VPAT for Zotero 7. We've made countless accessibility improvements in Zotero 7, which far exceeds Zotero 6 in keyboard and screen reader accessibility, and we're continuing to work through specific problems that they've identified in the beta.

Note that Zotero 7 has been in beta for the last year and was a technical prerequisite for many of these changes, which is why the process is still ongoing. We understand that simply having a VPAT is the primary requirement at many institutions, but our focus has been on actually improving accessibility, not just documenting inadequacies, so we weren't going to create a VPAT for Zotero 6.

Zotero 7 will be released before the school year begins, and we'll make a VPAT available at that time. Thanks for your continued patience.
  • checking in on the update for the VPAT. Fall semester has now begun, and campus IT has now gotten wind of Zotero use and they are requiring VPAT!
  • Thanks for checking in. Please let your IT people know they can send us a message at support@zotero.org to request a VPAT.