Request for APA7 Style Customization for Catalan Language

edited 18 days ago
Hi there,

I have been using Zotero to manage the bibliography for a lengthy document (around 500 pages) that I am writing in Catalan. Overall, I am very satisfied with the software; however, I have encountered a particular issue related to the citation style in the final bibliography.

I am using the APA7 citation style, and I noticed that when citing book chapters, Zotero inserts "En" before the editor's name and the title of the book, as is standard in Spanish (“In” in English). However, in Catalan, the correct preposition would be "Dins," rather than "En," which is not grammatically correct in this context.

Check page 15 (point 3.2) of this Catalan APA7 manual:
https://dspace.uvic.cat/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10854/6275/altres_a2020_guia_elaborar_citacions.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Given the length of my bibliography, manually editing each instance is not feasible. Is there a way to customize the APA7 style in Zotero to automatically replace "En" with "Dins" when working in Catalan? Could this be done through a style modification or an alternative method within Zotero?

Thank you in advance for your help. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
  • Bon día,
    Is Catalan available from the drop-down menu?
    If not, modifying the style in castellano is easy.
  • edited 18 days ago
    Bon dia!

Yes, it is available. And, in fact, most of the things are correct! Is it also easy to modify the style in catalan? How can I do it?

Thank you :)
  • edited 18 days ago
    Add this after the info section (where all the other locale sections are).
    This will redifine the "in" term for you for catalan.
    <locale xml:lang="ca">
    <terms>
    <term name="in">dins</term>
    </terms>
    </locale>

You'll need to follow the guide here, especially changing the the ID etc. as mentioned. Otherwise your style will just be overwritten again.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
  • (Shouldn't it be xml:lang="ca"?)
  • Oops. Sorry. Fixed.
  • It sounds like we should update this in the main Catalan locale for CSL. The “in” term is only used in the “within a larger whole” context in CSL