Zotero 7: Cannot use split view/window snapping to fit 1/2 of screen?

My Zotero 7 experience has been universally great so far apart from this one hiccup. On Windows 11, I cannot drag the Zotero window to either side of my screen to snap it to 1/2 my screen width. I'm using a laptop with a 1920x1200 display, so there should be plenty of room to snap it.

This makes it pretty hard to use Zotero side by side with another app, like Obsidian or word. Any advice?
  • If you open PDFs into other windows (instead of tabs) you can resize them as you wish.
  • edited 19 days ago
    This is an issue on MacOS laptops as well. I cannot shrink the main window to half the screen on a 14" MBP (3024 x 1964) even though I closed all the panes (left and right) and the tools still have decent space between them in the top bar.

If shrinking does at some point make certain tools invisible (which currently it doesn't at 1/2 on my screen), maybe a dropdown like the one used for invisible tabs might be a solution.

I'm amazed with how far Zotero has come in V7, though!
  • Thank you, but this is not really a solution long-term. Moving every tab to a standalone window is cumbersome, especially because those standalone windows cannot be re-integrated into the main window afaik.

As it is currently, the minimum width is simply set too high (all side panels are closed and there is still a lot of space between the tool buttons, yet it cannot be shrunk).
  • @julewt: It doesn't sound like you actually read my full comment? The window can't be shrunk further because of the panes in the library tab, not the reader tab. If you close the collections and item panes in the library tab, the window can be made very narrow (to the point where the reader toolbar is overlapping and cut off, in fact, which we need to fix).

We can't allow the window to shrink beyond the minimum width of a given tab, since you can switch between tabs at any time. So we'd have to actually reduce the min-width on the items list to allow it to be shrunk to essentially nothing. It might be worth doing that in order to allow reader tabs to shrink, but it certainly makes it possible to configure the library tab to be totally unusable, which we've always tried to avoid.
  • I read your full comment but I didn't understand that the library panes would affect the min-width even if not focussed, I apologise!

Would it perhaps be an intuitive solution for the library tab to automatically collapse the item pane when the window is shrunk beyond the usable minimum and to expand it again automatically if the window is made big enough?
  • Same. The inability to tile Zotero on my Windows 11 is the major issue. It affects the workflow as I mainly use it as a Biblio tool alongside Word or Doc. Now, opening Zotero alongside these other files is cumbersome, which affects the main purpose of the reference manager tool.
  • Update: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/474050/#Comment_474050

@julewt:
    Would it perhaps be an intuitive solution for the library tab to automatically collapse the item pane when the window is shrunk beyond the usable minimum and to expand it again automatically if the window is made big enough?
    We didn't do that, exactly, but we we did something close. Thanks for the suggestion!