Zotero update requires reboot (constantly)

Dear community,
I have a problem with Zotero update on windows machine. Suppose it did autoupdate and now it is not working, as the icon changed and it requires constant reboot with a message:
"Your computer must be restarted to complete a previous upgrade of Zotero. Do you want to reboot now?"

Trying to install a new version from website results in the same message.
I suppose this is due to limited privileges for my PC user profile. I can elevate to admin, but not during the system is loading up.
I tried to search the forum, but didn't find the "updates" folder to delete nor I found proofs that it is a safe option to delete the zotero folder in this particular case.

What should i do?

Thanks in advance!
  • Thank you for reporting this. I have had the same problem a few months now.
  • You're welcome ;) Any ideas what can be done?
  • I'd try uninstalling Zotero and then re-installing.
    This shouldn't affect your Zotero data folder, but do make sure that you have a back-up of that folder as you should always have (https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data )

After uninstalling, make sure that all Zotero folders other than the data folder are actually deleted. If not, do so (yes, that's perfectly save)

Then re-install.

FWIW, you can install Zotero locally, without any admin privileges, simply by cancelling the Admin prompt during install. I don't think that's the issue here, but it would mean that you don't need Admin access for any of the Zotero-related features in the future.
  • Thank you very much for your comment and detailed instructions! I tried to uninstall it and unfortunately before it does anything it still asks me to reboot, so I'm locked in this never ending loop ;(

Is it safe just to delete installation zotero folder and then try to install on top?
  • Yes, anything but the data folder you can delete.
  • Ok, I deleted the folder from Program files, installed Zotero in different location which doesn't require admin rights. Seems to work, settings and library remained the same. Thanks for help!
  • I came here, after having the exact issue upon installing the new 64-bit version of Zotero 7. I really wanted to avoid re-installing (corp. laptop), so I've looked for alternative solutions, what worked for me is the following:

1) go to you Local Zotero folder, should be "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Zotero" by default
    2) here you'll find two files if the installation went alright: [1] zotero.exe, [2] zotero.exe.moz-update
    3) if you rename
    [1] zotero.exe -> zotero.exe.moz-unknown;
    [2] zotero.exe.moz-update -> zotero.exe
    4) you can run Zotero with the new 'zotero.exe' file

This worked for me at least.
  • Great, it worked for me. Thanks a lot @bencekd ! I was stuck in the update loop...
  • Thank you @bencekd! This worked for me as well! Was also stuck in a never ending reboot loop
  • Thanks! Renaming worked.
  • Thank you. Same issue since update to 7.0.7 from version 6. It worked perfectly.
  • Worked great (swaping names as bencekd proposed) for me as well (updated to version 7.0.7)